sorna cal eb-8420 need an opinion with it
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tomcat1960

Thread: sorna cal eb-8420 need an opinion with it

Thumbs Up sorna cal eb-8420 need an opinion with it

hi every body
    the thing is i got a great deal for and omega seamaster 30 acctually at 50 euro but the thing is i needed to buy both watch's the seller have and new my story come's
    the other watch is sorna (30 euro) world time date's back to 70's with the eb 8420 movement the bezel is not included (see pic's)
    i cant fight the need i have to get my first mechanical chronograph ( the cheapest was over 1k and now i got it for 30 euro :)) its the real deadly need i was seeking for after i started collecting watch's

i need your advice because in my opinion this watch will never get any good wrist time and i don't think i deserve its the worst 70"s watch ever specially with out the bezel that's what destroyed it really
    what do you think should i look for a new case and a new dial for this watch or does it worth keeping like this i mean its great to collect like this watch's overall or do i need to fit just a bezel and glue it i know i look confused . after all i just like to hear you opinions on this watch i know the price is v.good .

Last edited by Oudai Thaer Hawatmeh; December 4th, 2013 at 09:42. Reason: small images

Re: sorna cal eb-8420 need an opinion with it

Hi there,

no idea what I would do, likely kick it into the material box or the bay. This model had no simple mobile bezel, but a slide-rule bezel composed of an inner fiixed and an outer mobile ring, as describend here:
    bidfun-db Archiv: Armbanduhren: 694: HAU Sorna Monster-Chronograph, Handaufzug, ca 1975 ungetragen
    And I'm afraid this slide rule was used to replace a scratched one of another sample, and now you have the bones of the barbecue.

Since the only place where eventual parts were stored was cleaned down to molecular scale, the chance to get the watch to original shape is seriously limited. So this watch will not become desirable for a purist, but rather to someone who falls in love with this funky chunk, disregarding whether it has an original bezel or not.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Ranfft View Post
    Hi there,

no idea what I would do, likely kick it into the material box or the bay. This model had no simple mobile bezel, but a slide-rule bezel composed of an inner fiixed and an outer mobile ring, as describend here:
    bidfun-db Archiv: Armbanduhren: 694: HAU Sorna Monster-Chronograph, Handaufzug, ca 1975 ungetragen
    And I'm afraid this slide rule was used to replace a scratched one of another sample, and now you have the bones of the barbecue.

Since the only place where eventual parts were stored was cleaned down to molecular scale, the chance to get the watch to original shape is seriously limited. So this watch will not become desirable for a purist, but rather to someone who falls in love with this funky chunk, disregarding whether it has an original bezel or not.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

would you think it can fit with a poljot 3133 case i mean my eb8420 is a great movement and if i just can get a case for it i will change this sorna case to any
    what about this one Crono POLJOT 3133 Navigator Ocean Shturmanskie Chronograph Case Pilot Aviator | eBay

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Honestly, I'm a bit confused. I think the watch is complete (even if in a deplorable state.) I think it never had an exterior bezel - the internal ones being a world time ring (outer) to set the timezone you're in, and a simple Timing bezel (inner) to set a start- or end-time. To me it looks a bit bedraggled, but complete. (You must keep in mind that it was a cheap watch in its time. Nobody ever cared about repairing it, let alone stockpiling spares - if it broke it was binned. End of story. Maybe I'm over-romantic, but hey! this working-class hero made it to you, somehow. Don't you agree that this means something? :D)

My recommendation: service it, add it to your collection and wear it from time to time.

Kind regards
    Tomcat
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

Thread Information