Sorry for barging in....

Thread: Sorry for barging in....

Sorry for barging in....

Hello all-
    I'm brand new to your site but it looks like there are some decent folks and not without good wit. I found the forum here trying to find some info on a pocket watch that belonged to my Grandfather.

It's face reads 'La Salle Express', '21 jewels', and 'made in Switzerland'. Inside the back cover it shows 'Derby Rollerplate Sturdy' and 'case made in Canada'. It's stamped with 4219123 and freehand engraved with 111974B.

The mechanism itself is marked with 'La Salle Watch Co.', 'Made in Switzerland', '21 Jewels', and has some kind of adjustment.

The watch works perfectly. I'm sure that my Grandfather had it for a long time and he passed in the early eighties. I've had it since then.

I'm also trying to nail down an approximate age and any other details I can learn about it before putting it up on Ebay.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Ray MacDonald; August 22nd, 2008 at 02:12. Reason: No sales posts allowed in the forum.

Re: Sorry for barging in....

Just read the Sticky Notes. Novel idea huh?

I didn't see a number on the movement. Needs a light cleaning but I don't think it needs anything more.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice looking watch. LaSalle may have been a house brand for a jeweler. It's a 20th century Swiss movement with almost a Montgomery dial (missing a '6' in the subdial). Gold plated but I don't see any place it has worn through. You will be suprised how little it will fetch. You might want to keep it as a reminder of your Grandfather. Once sold it can never be recovered.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for posting. Had to edit your post to remove sales notices as they are not allowed here.
    It looks to me like a fairly modern Swiss pocket watch movement. The picture isn't the clearest but I'd guess 1940s at the very earliest.
    I haven't heard of LaSalle except as a brand for Seiko and that doesn't make a lot of sense given that the watch movement was made in Switzerland

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thanks for editing and not deleting.

Any idea what market a Canadian case/Swiss movement watch would sell in? Probably Europe or US, knowing where he had been.

There are pocket watch collectors all over the world. However as Eeeb has already posted, the amount a pocket watch will fetch on eBay is very small. Keep it for your kids or grandkids, or give it to another family member if you don't want it.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

I meant what market it might had originally sold in.

And as far as selling it goes, I'll just say that the sentimentality for my Grandfather is not intact. I've discussed this with my mother(his daughter) and we agreed that getting rid of it(and a few other things) would be quite appropriate. Doesn't really matter what it fetches. I just want to learn more about it before it goes.

Originally I'd say sold in North America.

Thread Information