Sorry, H-Boyos, no Airmen here!
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Sorry, H-Boyos, no Airmen here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Member mkws's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,455

    Sorry, H-Boyos, no Airmen here!

    So, what happens when Hodinkee wants to hype some watch, but there is no example at hand? Well, it looks like they write of a watch that they want to hype, using as an example one that isn't the one they want to hype.
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/found-gus-kroesens

    I've read it, and I've arrived at the only conclusion. Mr. Pennington's article is...
    Name:  tenor.gif
Views: 78
Size:  26.6 KB

    For whatever reason, he went by the same logic that the Big Three used to mock Bentley...


    ...only unlike TG's "Bentley" gag in Albania, Mr. Pennington's article doesn't seem to be a joke.

    OK, let's break down this...hmmm...how to call it politely...hmmm...bovine fecal matter, step by step.

    A Pair of Sterile-Dial Glycine Airman Watches...
    Now, here's the thing. There is NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that these watches were made by Glycine, let alone that they're the Airman.

    Fact:
    The Airman featured a 24h dial and movement, and a 24h bezel controlled by a separate crown.

    These two, meanwhile, feature an ordinary 12h movement, an ordinary 60-minute diver bezel... That said, they're not the Airman.

    That's where watches like this Glycine Airman come into play.
    Again, it isn't an Airman, and in all likelihood not a Glycine at all.

    ...although no Glycine branding is present, the case and design language is borrowed from the Airman.
    And the BS continues. Wrong on both counts! The case of this watch has NOTHING to do with the Airman. It's quite clearly a diver case, while the Airman only featured a superficial WR. The whole Airman bezel assembly is also not there!
    What is it, then? Not sure, but the case, dial and hands resemble those of...

    ...the Rotary Aquaplunge.
    Name:  cf105f6457f27164f4bad1c6eb838b96acf36d76.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  62.4 KB
    Pic filched from the Internets for reference.

    Let's be honest, this style was pretty generic. You will find it on plenty of 1960s "skin diver" watches. The Aquaplunge is just an example.


    This model was likely produced under contract for Kroesen's alongside the standard Airman...
    And for yet another time the author implies, that the watch was made by Glycine. I'm sorry, Mr. Pennington, but so far you have presented no evidence that that's the case.

    The Kroesen's watches have serial numbers that match up to Glycine's.
    Digging through Emre's Glycintennial in the Wayback Machine, we can easily observe that all it takes is a 6-digit serial to try making it a Glycine. Technically, serial numbers make no sense, until you have a resource to match them with...and until you know that you're matching it to the right resource. You can match a 1940s Zenith serial with the Tissot chart, and the result will point to somewhere in the 1950s. Both brands had a 7-digit serial.

    That said, the serials from Kroesen's watches might yield some result when matched with a Glycine chart, but there is no evidence that this result makes any sense. What if these watches date to the early 1960s or early 1970s? That style of watch matches these periods just as well as it does 1966-67.

    Also, an Airman would have an Airman reference number... Here's the chart from Glycintennial, obtained from an archive copy of the site:
    Name:  glycine airman chart.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  103.2 KB

    As you can see, there won't be an Airman reference for this one... And that's because there are no Airman specs that match it, and that includes the movement, which in this case is either an ETA 2452 or 2472. Not one of Glycine's choice, these being by Felsa and AS (later on, also Valjoux in the SST chrono).

    All in all, I see a lot of far-fetched claims, no evidence, and a lot of claptrap in between said unsubstantiated claims.

    The way I see it, another Hodinkee claim bites the dust.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

    If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

    (...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

    For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

  2. #2
    Zenith Forum Co-moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    16,728

    Re: Sorry, H-Boyos, no Airmen here!

    Yes, I did notice that they couldn't even identify the movement (ETA 2472 in fact) despite the fact that the number is right under their nose.....

    Having said all that, it seems that you, mkws, are unusually masochistic - I never waste my time reading their stuff since I know that they are all afflicted with chronic logorrhoea.

    Hartmut Richter

  3. #3
    Member arcadelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,991

    Re: Sorry, H-Boyos, no Airmen here!

    They definitely look nothing like a Glycine Airman so I have no idea how they came to that conclusion.
    mkws and eddiea like this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member eddiea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Dixie
    Posts
    1,398

    Re: Sorry, H-Boyos, no Airmen here!

    Quote Originally Posted by arcadelt View Post
    They definitely look nothing like a Glycine Airman so I have no idea how they came to that conclusion.
    Could be that, it was a very slow day by Mr Pennington ? Maybe
    mkws likes this.
    This spring, I will do Everest without oxygen. I did all my peaks without oxygen except Everest. I just want to continue be happy, doing what I love—climbing mountains.
    Edurne Pasaban Lizarribar

  6. #5
    Member mkws's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,455

    Re: Sorry, H-Boyos, no Airmen here!

    Quote Originally Posted by eddiea View Post
    Could be that, it was a very slow day by Mr Pennington ? Maybe
    That's optimistic. With Hodinkee, chances are that it was a normal day by them.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

    If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

    (...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

    For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

  7. #6
    Member joeabroad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    341

    Re: Sorry, H-Boyos, no Airmen here!

    My favorite line from the article: "Additionally, the lack of markings allows the wearer to remain anonymous behind enemy lines."

    Diabolically clever, that. Just leave it to some interrogator to ask a captured flyer, "hey, why aren't you wearing a Glycine?"
    mkws, esdy_11192, OhDark30 and 1 others like this.

  8. #7
    Member cd1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    321

    Re: Sorry, H-Boyos, no Airmen here!

    We live in an era where truth is irrelevant and alternate facts can be fabricated and presented.... nay.... TRUMPETED!!!! in support of gross monetary gain. There really are no rules anymore. Caveat Emptor. Frankly, I'm offended by this pervasive degradation in morality. MKWS you are a ray of sunshine. Thank you .

  9. #8
    Member mkws's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,455

    Re: Sorry, H-Boyos, no Airmen here!

    Quote Originally Posted by cd1963 View Post
    We live in an era where truth is irrelevant and alternate facts can be fabricated and presented.... nay.... TRUMPETED!!!! in support of gross monetary gain. There really are no rules anymore.
    Sad, but true.


    Quote Originally Posted by cd1963 View Post
    Frankly, I'm offended by this pervasive degradation in morality.
    So am I.

    Quote Originally Posted by cd1963 View Post
    MKWS you are a ray of sunshine. Thank you .
    What can I say... I'm flattered. Though it's really not much that I'm doing, just what seems the right thing to do.
    cd1963 likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

    If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

    (...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

    For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,800

    Re: Sorry, H-Boyos, no Airmen here!

    God dang it!!!!

    I thought that was a Airman....... mkws, you are very wrong. It is an Airman. It is a special Airman made especially for the "Dink" It is the Glycine Airman Hoodwinkee Crapmaster 2600

    Only 3 made so it will be uber rare and uber sought after at big bucks........

    Seriously, Hodinkee is just as much as a crap dealer as those Bombay special sellers
    mkws likes this.

  11. #10
    Member Krogerfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    307

    Re: Sorry, H-Boyos, no Airmen here!

    You should cut Hodinkee some slack. Business is so slow that they've had to lay off their copy editors, abandoning the writers to struggle piteously alone with grammar and spelling.

    Name:  Screenshot 2019-05-21 20.37.56.png
Views: 28
Size:  34.2 KB

    The Mil- means 1000, you say? Intriguing. I've also heard that the herringbone weave pattern refers to the skeletal structure of a type of fish.

    Name:  Screenshot 2019-05-21 20.38.39.png
Views: 28
Size:  41.5 KB

    Much latter in the year.

    Name:  Screenshot 2019-05-21 20.39.42.png
Views: 28
Size:  37.3 KB

    Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
    mkws, cd1963 and georges zaslavsky like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Sorry i haven't posted here for a while. . . . .
      By evertonian61 in forum Pilots' & Military watches
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: August 1st, 2008, 20:25
    2. Here's my humble collection of Ana/Digi watches...sorry poor pics
      By macnoodle in forum Digital & ABC watches
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: July 12th, 2008, 10:45
    3. Replies: 51
      Last Post: March 26th, 2008, 08:42
    4. Sorry about all the photos - but here's one more
      By Flyingdoctor in forum DOXA Owners Club
      Replies: 13
      Last Post: February 7th, 2007, 05:13
    5. Sorry for the long delay. Here are the pics.
      By ag3nt_kowloon in forum Casio G-Shock
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: December 21st, 2006, 02:19

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •