WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Source for case for Landeron movement

10K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  rmelle 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a Landeron 48 movement dial etc from a 38 mm Titus case that was badly damaged. I need to find another. The movement has a ring around it and the dial is larger than most. Not sure if the case is Titus specific or not. Anyone know a source for vintage watch cases, reproductions?

#5 ·
jonathanbarlow.com still has the gallet cases, not the style I am after though but someone will be happy, 8 NOS cases dials etc.

120 E is like $180, this is not looking like its going to be cheap. I was told my 18K was not repairable, one if the lugs was bent, but am wishing I had checked around a bit more now to make sure that was the case. It was really thin though, not much there in the way of a case.

#11 ·
Dear Rx2man,
I have exactly the same!
cool! I had the case restored by a friend goldsmith.
He filled the lugs, straigtened them and the case was as new!
Have the case restored!
A good goldsmith can do that.
I don't know the price, as it was a friends work, I did something for him....

Succes in restoring this beauty!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,
Rj van Melle.

#16 ·
I sent a private message with a link to rx2man on a Landeron case that didn't specify which movement it fit or any demensions. I sometimes see cases while I search for an Elgin 761 dial often listed by watch brand. I just don't know who used Landeron movements? I did see a Gallet case is it a possible match?

#17 ·
Its pity that original case is wasted,it isnt so hard to gild a case if its just a matter of surface damage.

Many of those 1950s chronos that are marked on the dial "Chronographe Suisse" are equiped with "Landeron" movements,so I guess it wouldnt be so hard to find another case for that movement.Just make sure that dial diameter fits to case.

#19 ·
When I got the watch initially and saw it was damaged I took it to a watch repair guy. He said the dents in the case he could take care of but the bent lug he said could not be repaired. It sounds like from what people are saying here it may have been repairable. I went with what the watch guy said and am SOL now. This is the larger 38mm case. The lugs were even hollowed out on the 18k ones.

The link for the one nsmike sent me was for one of the smaller ones, but I have a few other project watches so I picked it up. Will post a pic. Neat one guy made a glass back case for a old Landeron Chrono.

#20 ·
I phoned My friend to ask him what he did.
It was quite a long time ago.
This is what he did:
He straightened the lugs, damaging the case quite (dents buckels atc)
made sure the case was as straight as possible.
With low temp. melting 18k solder filled the lugs completely up.
Then with high temp. 18k solder filled the dents, buckels, and all outer damages.
Filed the case back to shape where the soldering was done.
grinded it and polished it.
He sugested at the time of quilt the case again for the small color changes on the repairs.
When highly polished it was visible for a trained eye, but I didn't want that as that was the hystory of the case.
So conclusion:
Quite some work involved here, so for a consumer it would also be quite an amount of money involved...

regards,
RJ van Melle.

#21 ·
Well I guess thats what the repair guy meant by not repairable. Anything can be repaired if you throw enough money at it. At what point is it not worth it though. There is not that much gold in those cases either so its not like theres alot of money in selling them for the gold content.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.