Source for classic watch & PW crowns

Thread: Source for classic watch & PW crowns

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,997

    Source for classic watch & PW crowns

    One of the big problems you often run into restoring a classic watch is that the crown is shot to pieces. I posted on the watchmaking side about Acon Watch Crown, the only manufacturer of watch crowns in the USA, but I thought this might be a good place to expand a bit on it.

    they have a broad range of every possible crown that will fit the watches of just about every era. In addition, they're a useful source for pocket watch crowns. they also manufacture watch buckles too.

    While Im at it, I might also mention Perfit crystal in New York City, which is the only manufacturer I know of in the USA still capable of making glass crystals for wrist watches. I don't mean mineral glass or sapphire glass, but honest to goodness glass crystals, which were still in use into the 1950s on many watches.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,623

    Re: Source for classic watch & PW crowns

    Here you go.Another place for crowns but your's source mite be better.
    http://www.ofrei.com/page335.html

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,997

    Re: Source for classic watch & PW crowns

    Quote Originally Posted by river rat View Post
    Here you go.Another place for crowns but your's source mite be better.
    http://www.ofrei.com/page335.html
    Frei is great for anything modern, but have you ever tried to find some of those wide crowns they had on old chronos.....This is why I suggest you may want to to also try Acon too. Not that I'm really sure they have any of the old chrono crowns, however....

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member MikeTheWatchGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    326

    Re: Source for classic watch & PW crowns

    It's funny you mention Acon. I had never heard of them until I scheduled an aucttion last night to start this evening. No kidding. I haven't sold anything in weeks and just last night started dragging out material. I had never heard of these crowns and got them in a box of other parts at an auction. Are they worth anything or are they cheap?

    I'm a vintage watch guy (pre-1955), so these Japanese crowns and parts are totally foreign. And if you're asking, no I didn't put up something to sell because of the thread. I just happened to see this thread show up in my list of thread updates.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,997

    Re: Source for classic watch & PW crowns

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheWatchGuy View Post
    It's funny you mention Acon. I had never heard of them until I scheduled an aucttion last night to start this evening. No kidding. I haven't sold anything in weeks and just last night started dragging out material. I had never heard of these crowns and got them in a box of other parts at an auction. Are they worth anything or are they cheap?

    I'm a vintage watch guy (pre-1955), so these Japanese crowns and parts are totally foreign. And if you're asking, no I didn't put up something to sell because of the thread. I just happened to see this thread show up in my list of thread updates.
    My understanding is that parts, particularly case parts, for Japanese watches are very difficult to obtain. This includes Japan, where I live. I wouldn't be too surprised if your crowns find a good home.

  7. #6
    Member MikeTheWatchGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    326

    Re: Source for classic watch & PW crowns

    Quote Originally Posted by Somewhere else View Post
    My understanding is that parts, particularly case parts, for Japanese watches are very difficult to obtain. This includes Japan, where I live. I wouldn't be too surprised if your crowns find a good home.

    COOL!

    I thought they would be useless.

    I also posted at the same time some more Japanese crowns from AF Switzerland. Assortment #5130. Do you think these are worth anything at all? Dunno is you've heard of them.

    I'm not trying to advertise anything here, I'm simply just trying to understand if I have anything of real value.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,728

    Re: Source for classic watch & PW crowns

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheWatchGuy View Post
    COOL!
    I'm not trying to advertise anything here, I'm simply just trying to understand if I have anything of real value.
    I'm in favour of anything that makes finding parts for vintage watches easier.

    PS - I think I found your Japanese crowns:

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •