Sources for vintage/NOS straps and buckles?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Sources for vintage/NOS straps and buckles?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sources for vintage/NOS straps and buckles?

I'm wondering if any of you know where to get straps for vintage watches. There are a few pieces in my collection for which I am looking for a branded strap. I know that fleabay has a few...but a lot is hit or miss and not all brands are available. I'm looking for an Elgin strap right now...I've sourced the buckle but am hunting down a strap.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Re: Sources for vintage/NOS straps and buckles?

Most of the branded straps I have seen are of dubious provenance. I strongly suspect almost all of the vintage straps are 'reproductions'. 50 year old un-cared-for leather is rarely NOS.

I don't bother with 'branded' straps. But I do like good straps. Straps make the watch
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Yes, leather/ canvas don't stand the test of time very well. I do, however, like some of those old NSA bracelets. I've got a nice beads-of-rice and another segmented bracelet that I purchased from Squinky. You can find him on the 'bay and I think he posts on this forum and TZ from time to time.
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi!

Yes, straps(or bracelets) make the watch. Innner years of collecting I only found a very few original vintage leather straps in good condition - and that almost accidentally, together with a watch being forgotten in a drawer for ages. More important is it IMHO to find the matching(to the time period) style of a leather strap, old ads can be a great help. And a matching buckle.
    E.g. it took a long time to find this one for my 14 kt Rado from 1957:

In this case, also the leather strap is originally from the 1950s, came with another watch in good condition and after a few times polishing with a good dubbin it will hopefully last for the next decades. To find the matching buckle in a separate auction in the bay was like winning a lottery.
    Here´s an ad from 1950 and a late 1940s´ Exacto, which came with original bracelet:

To your question - I have no special sources for NOS vintage straps, just one for original canvas straps of the U.S.Army of the 1940s:

It´s a Bullock´s labeled Rado from 1943/44, being sold to GIs in PX-shops, with original olive canvas strap of that time.
    Last edited by mike184; October 13th, 2011 at 23:37.
    Best regards, Mike

I have lucked out exactly once on OEM leather straps

These were late 1960s and early 1970s.

I really do think it is a matter of luck in finding and luck in preservation. Oh and patience, lots of patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Most of the branded straps I have seen are of dubious provenance. I strongly suspect almost all of the vintage straps are 'reproductions'. 50 year old un-cared-for leather is rarely NOS.

I don't bother with 'branded' straps. But I do like good straps. Straps make the watch
    I agree with you...I had a feeling that those $40 "NOS" Omega straps were the stuff of fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonDan View Post
    Yes, leather/ canvas don't stand the test of time very well. I do, however, like some of those old NSA bracelets. I've got a nice beads-of-rice and another segmented bracelet that I purchased from Squinky. You can find him on the 'bay and I think he posts on this forum and TZ from time to time.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I've thought about how to "revive" a strap. I've seen a few online but like you said...leather doesn't really survive that well. Especially if it's been sitting in a drawer for 40+ years. Does anyone know if there's a way of adding moisture to decades old leather so that it doesn't crack?

Quote Originally Posted by mike184 View Post
    Hi!
    Yes, straps(or bracelets) make the watch. Innner years of collecting I only found a very few original vintage leather straps in good condition - and that almost accidentally, together with a watch being forgotten in a drawer for ages. More important is it IMHO to find the matching(to the time period) style of a leather strap, old ads can be a great help. And a matching buckle.
    Congratulations on making your Rado complete. I'm on the same quest for an Elgin I have. What's a good source for vintage ads? Are there any websites that have a catalog of some sort?

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    I have lucked out exactly once on OEM leather straps

I really do think it is a matter of luck in finding and luck in preservation. Oh and patience, lots of patience.
    I've seen your collection...so finding these must have been like a hidden treasure for you. Do they all have a watch attached to them now?

Once again...thanks all for chiming in and for your suggestions. I guess luck has a lot to do with this...which makes it all the more fun. Like I needed an added element to add to my watch collecting...oh well.

Really appreciate it.

I suggest you one good ebayer called Timesofplenty , he has in fact plenty of nice NOS leather straps and metal bracelets........ here I show you one of my favorite vintage straps

Name:  cinturinousn.jpg
Views: 1411
Size:  178.0 KB
    timesofplenty likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Britishshortair View Post
    I suggest you one good ebayer called Timesofplenty , he has in fact plenty of nice NOS leather straps and metal bracelets........ here I show you one of my favorite vintage straps

WOW! That is beautiful! I've never seen anything like it and probably never will. If ever run across one like it, it will be mine!
    timesofplenty likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Britishshortair View Post

Wow...what watch do you have this strap on? Thanks for the suggestion...I would love a strap like yours.

I'm happy that you like it :=)
    This strap was purchased for this watch , a special 12.68N that belonged to a Lt. Colonel of USMC having a strong intelligence activity for the USN in Sicily during 1943 ........ but I'm waiting for an important event to wear it with the special strap........(the calf leather on the watch is a Longines-Wittnauer original from the 50's). Un caro saluto.
    Adriano
    Name:  longinescincotta400.jpg
Views: 1845
Size:  140.4 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information