Sourcing parts for defunct brands
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Sourcing parts for defunct brands

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sourcing parts for defunct brands

You've probably seen a fair bit of threads like these but here it is again...

Came across this Record Geneve Datofix for sale (the pic is not mine but of the seller) and I kind of got interested and gave up on it in the time of 15 mins. The photo obviously shows why. I'm far from an expert but I can see that the 7 o'clock is broken and the piece is missing, the crown looks like a replacement and probably the same goes for the sub seconds hand. A trained eye would probably notice a few more things I guess.

The question is, how hard is to find replacement parts or details for brands out of business like this? Start with a crown, it's obviously a gold one, probably close to impossible? Same for a replacement 7 or a seconds hand. I'd think that Ebay would be the first place to look but do watchmakers, especially ones that specialize in restoration have other channels of sourcing parts?

And last, would you wear an imperfect piece like this just because you like it? In the sense, I don't give a damn, I'm wearing it because it's exactly the way it is.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Abandon all reason.

Re: Sourcing parts for defunct brands

Find a watchmaker that has been in business for a spell, if he can't find a part, I'm sure he can kludge one up.
    upupa epops likes this.

Haven't decided if I'll offer anything to be honest, priced high for what it is. But you know how it is with these things, it stays in the back of the mind.
    Abandon all reason.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The hour and minute hands are also replacements and the dial has probably been repainted. The "7" is not broken, it's a "1". The whole thing is put together, and I suspect the deeper you look the more problems you will find.
    upupa epops and esdy_11192 like this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Now that you said it, yes, the hour hand does go over the calendar ring. And that dot near the 8 feels like it was "hammered" from the other side of the dial.
    Abandon all reason.

Quote Originally Posted by upupa epops View Post
    Now that you said it, yes, the minute hand does go over the calendar ring. And that dot near the 8 feels like it was "hammered" from the other side of the dial.
    Fixed it for you.

LOL, good catch, just made me feel like a 5 year old 🙂
    Abandon all reason.

Quote Originally Posted by upupa epops View Post
    And last, would you wear an imperfect piece like this just because you like it? In the sense, I don't give a damn, I'm wearing it because it's exactly the way it is.
    Non-original parts do detract from my enjoyment of a watch, but it's a matter of degree ... not black and white.

Replacement parts that are accurate and look like the originals don't bother me as much as incorrect replacement parts that are jarring to my eye. Sympathetically re-lumed hands or accurately re-finished cases do not bother me so much.

And then there is the matter of the rarity of the watch. Some watches are so hard to find that you take what you can get, and just be happy that you have the watch at all.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/ and https://www.kalyanediffusion89.com/ and other ebay sellers might be specialized in selling vintage parts. If a watch is barely restorable then avoid it.
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

This is a reason I keep to Certina and Tissot so I can concentrate finding part for these brands when I restore them and I also know what goes with what after a few years working on them. Even then some models are next to impossible to find part for.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information