Sourcing a stem for a Longines Admiral 505

Thread: Sourcing a stem for a Longines Admiral 505

Sourcing a stem for a Longines Admiral 505

Hi there,

Ok, so this is a cross post from the longines forum - I do apologise, but I have not had much response and been asked to post here. Here is the thread in its entirety:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f405/wh...a-1544074.html

And the contents of my post (images are on the thread):

I have picked up a Longines Admiral with a calibre 505.
    Happy to upload pictures, but it does not have any other identifying marks on the movement.

It does need a new stem and crown however.

Ranfft.de accurately shows the movement: bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Longines 505 (Record 1955-2)
    and the stem reference number, W3265

I am however at a loss as to where I can source the stem from or what the correct part is.

I have seen several listings:
    1. Longines part 401 cal 505 from Canada
    2. Longines part 401 cal 505 from Germany
    3. Longines part 404 cal 505 from Malta
    4. Longines part 404 cal 505 from Hungary

So what I can take from this is, there are various parts at various price points, however the part number 401 and 404 confuse me. One appears to be some form of clip on stem (with male and female parts) and the other is a regular stem.

The stem that came with the watch is a plain old boring regular stem, but the stem does not stay in the watch, nor does it change the time (as if it does not engage the gear for the time change), however depressing it into the movement does do a quick date change. What I did was to slowly inch the stem (millimeter by millimeter) out and wind a little, so at various places it engages the winding gear and it winds the watch, but it does not set the time at all. and nothing stops the stem from pulling out fully.

Any suggestions?

Re: Sourcing a stem for a Longines Admiral 505

The 401 is a 'plain' stem, as opposed to a 2 part or 'split' stem (Swiss part #404). I reckon you'd be fine with either 401 stem you listed.

The problem you describe sounds like a problem with the set lever, but you haven't really explained if you've tightened the set lever screw after inserting the stem, so it's hard to know whether or not you've done this, or if in fact there's the problem I mentioned earlier. The tiny set lever screw (actually, on your movement instead of a screw, there's a tiny indented, spring loaded button that does the same thing) that you loosen or tighten appropriately to retain your stem is attached to a lever just under the dial. This lever pushes the crown wheels back and forth, and allows the wheels to either engage and wind or disengage and set the time. You may need to ensure that you've fully depressed the button as you push the stem into position and well seated.

It's easy to do and set levers break fairly often. Apologies if all of this is already known to you...
    Last edited by Habitant; February 17th, 2015 at 19:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Habitant View Post
    The 401 is a 'plain' stem, as opposed to a 2 part or 'split' stem (Swiss part #404). I reckon you'd be fine with either 401 stem you listed.

The problem you describe sounds like a problem with the set lever, but you haven't really explained if you've tightened the set lever screw after inserting the stem, so it's hard to know whether or not you've done this, or if in fact there's the problem I mentioned earlier. The tiny set lever screw (actually, on your movement instead of a screw, there's a tiny indented, spring loaded button that does the same thing) that you loosen or tighten appropriately to retain your stem is attached to a lever just under the dial. This lever pushes the crown wheels back and forth, and allows the wheels to either engage and wind or disengage and set the time. You may need to ensure that you've fully depressed the button as you push the stem into position and well seated.

It's easy to do and set levers break fairly often. Apologies if all of this is already known to you...
    No need to apologise. Any help is good help.
    I have attempted to depress the set lever button (I did not know what it is called) whilst inserting the stem. The stem goes fully in and when pushed into the movement the stem does a quick change of the date. So my thoughts are that the stem is the correct length, but not the right shape (perhaps from a different movement) - hence the movement will not hold it in and a quick tug has it out all of the way. This is further reinforced by the fact that the stem will not engage the time change gear at all.

If the problem was the set lever button, then the stem should work and time/date change should work, but the movement would not hold the stem in.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Maybe so. But I'd still suspect that the set lever assembly needs to be looked at to make sure. The stem isn't expensive, so perhaps source one of the ones you sourced. In the end, you know you'll need to service the movement, though, so…

Remove the movement from the case and try again and see if the stem goes deeper.
    Last edited by Shum; February 18th, 2015 at 12:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Habitant View Post
    Maybe so. But I'd still suspect that the set lever assembly needs to be looked at to make sure. The stem isn't expensive, so perhaps source one of the ones you sourced. In the end, you know you'll need to service the movement, though, so…
    I will try a 401 stem and see if that fixes it, if not, then off it goes to the watch maker for a more costly fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Shum View Post
    Remove the movement from the case and try again and see if the stem goes deeper.
    Yup, tried the movement out of the case too - but no luck. Same behaviour, so I know it is not the case obstructing the stem.

Thread Information