WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Spare my blushes! GUB/Glashutte assistance required

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  genji 
#1 · (Edited)
OK so as a complete beginner at watch buying, but a moderately experienced ebayer, I broke all the rules and bought for my OH's Christmas present a watch on the spur of the moment, close to the end of the auction and without doing any research o|

It arrived about 48 hrs ago and I've been trying to research it - to cut a long story short, and probably confirm my misgivings, could anyone out there with some knowledge on the brand (looks like a 50s watch) PM me, and I'll email photos to you - I've not yet worked out how to post photos on here, and until I know for sure that my concern is right, it would be unfair to the vendor to plaster his details all over the web.

Many thanks and BTW, the advice on how to buy vintage watches on here is excellent - shame I didn't find it beforehand!

#2 · (Edited)
Hi. I'm not a GUB expert at all - but you can post pictures off your computer quite easily. Reply to this post, choose the icon 3rd from the right which is 'insert image' and has a little tree in it, then find your picture file in your computer.

Or is the upload failing for you? If so - try resizing your pictures to a smaller file size.

Attachments

#6 ·
1 My own inexperience and daft way of acquiring it!
2 Can't find any reference to GUB having a movement number 622 which is what this has (seen photo of movement and have the individual movement no. too if that's any help)
3 the number on the rear of the case: although I can't find any replica GUB watches that seem to be like this model, and indeed, can't find any photos of anything like it anywhere so far, I did find a Chinese website with replicas with item numbers that were very, very similar...

Against this, it's arrived with a nearly new ostrich and calf strap which wouldn't be cheap....

#7 ·
I don't know anything about GUB, but there was a 62.2 movement:

GUB 62.2

If its a lady's watch, then its unlikely to have been faked - not enough demand. But maybe someone more knowledgeable will stop by soon.:)

#8 · (Edited)
Thank you for this, as it's very helpful. It's a man's watch though if he's not careful, he'll find me sneaking off with it! Just to make sure I'm buying a Benrus as an alternative but this site is a bit dangerous: someone put up a picture of a Gruen Curvex and they are simply lovely so it's hard not to go snooping after one of those.... I fear it may be I just like collecting...

And comparing the photos on the site of the 62.2 movement to the photo I have, I can't see any obvious differences - even the serial number seems to be in the right form. I think it's been the format of the serial number on the rear of the case and not being able to find any images of something similar that's gotten me anxious.

#9 ·
...they are simply lovely so it's hard not to go snooping after one of those.... I fear it may be I just like collecting...
Welcome to our world! Fun isn't it?

#12 · (Edited)
Rude of me not to reply before Mike, but have been off forum busy for last couple of days; thank you so much - your photo is much better than mine were but looks instantly recognisable! The main difference I can see initially is that on our watch the tiny luminous dots are on the inside of the hour markers, not on the outside as on yours - should I be bothered about this or is a variation in that normal? Also the glass covering on this one is immaculate - it could have been very little worn, and that would be consistent with back and sides which are very clean.

My OH may not be amused at the fact that what was described to me as a man's watch is in fact a lady's watch - gives me a perfect excuse to wear it sometimes, of course, but reading the info given by Eeeb that this movement was only produced 1956-58 is nice, as he wanted a watch around his age and he was born in 1957! Sheer coincidence but nice anyway.

so I'm left thinking that the relatively small sum I paid for it (under £50) is not too embarassing, and I have just acquired a new interest; our ebay watch list has just recently become a "watch" list with lots of Gruens and Bulovas in it as I am rather taken with them......any recommendations for a beginner on marques that are interesting but not too bank breaking?

Also does anyone know of a good watch repairer in Northern Scotland?

Thank you again, gentlemen!

#13 ·
genji,

Sometimes, shooting from the hip might pay dividends too!

Pre-unification Glashütte watches have rising in prices lately, mainly due to the interest in the marque as it has been doing some very interesting things over the last couple of decades, re-inventing itself. However, women's watches tend to stay less expensive than men's watches as small size is no longer fashionable, and they have a much greater chance to be straight as well. They can be bought on eBay at less than US$50 easily, more often between the $30 and $40 mark, so it might be a new line of interest for you!

#14 ·
Interesting what you say about the small size; both self and OH rather small around wrist so many popular watches can just look too big and out of proportion, and I don't really like thick ones (other than my Suunto for climbing) so many of the deco styled vintage ones and some of the Curvex/verithins seem more our sort of thing. Keep looking now at photos people on this site have put up - many quite beautiful ones out there...

Thank you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.