Spare my blushes! GUB/Glashutte assistance required

Thread: Spare my blushes! GUB/Glashutte assistance required

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Spare my blushes! GUB/Glashutte assistance required

OK so as a complete beginner at watch buying, but a moderately experienced ebayer, I broke all the rules and bought for my OH's Christmas present a watch on the spur of the moment, close to the end of the auction and without doing any research

It arrived about 48 hrs ago and I've been trying to research it - to cut a long story short, and probably confirm my misgivings, could anyone out there with some knowledge on the brand (looks like a 50s watch) PM me, and I'll email photos to you - I've not yet worked out how to post photos on here, and until I know for sure that my concern is right, it would be unfair to the vendor to plaster his details all over the web.

Many thanks and BTW, the advice on how to buy vintage watches on here is excellent - shame I didn't find it beforehand!
    Last edited by genji; November 13th, 2010 at 07:57.

Re: Spare my blushes! GUB/Glashutte assistance required

Hi. I'm not a GUB expert at all - but you can post pictures off your computer quite easily. Reply to this post, choose the icon 3rd from the right which is 'insert image' and has a little tree in it, then find your picture file in your computer.

Or is the upload failing for you? If so - try resizing your pictures to a smaller file size.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Marrick; November 12th, 2010 at 20:48. Reason: Testing.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

If it is from the Ukraine or Bulgaria than chances are it's a frankenwatch. Otherwise you will need to post pictures.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Tried several times including scaling photos using 2 different photo editors, but this is the best I can manage on here but I could email you the originals which are much better to see detail. I can't open the watch as I don't have tools I'm afraid, and don't want to risk damage but am told the movement is a 622.
    Attachment 349696Attachment 349698

Name:  watch 2a.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  11.1 KBName:  watch 1a.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  9.0 KB

What makes you think the watch might be wrong?

1 My own inexperience and daft way of acquiring it!
    2 Can't find any reference to GUB having a movement number 622 which is what this has (seen photo of movement and have the individual movement no. too if that's any help)
    3 the number on the rear of the case: although I can't find any replica GUB watches that seem to be like this model, and indeed, can't find any photos of anything like it anywhere so far, I did find a Chinese website with replicas with item numbers that were very, very similar...

Against this, it's arrived with a nearly new ostrich and calf strap which wouldn't be cheap....

I don't know anything about GUB, but there was a 62.2 movement:

GUB 62.2

If its a lady's watch, then its unlikely to have been faked - not enough demand. But maybe someone more knowledgeable will stop by soon.

Thank you for this, as it's very helpful. It's a man's watch though if he's not careful, he'll find me sneaking off with it! Just to make sure I'm buying a Benrus as an alternative but this site is a bit dangerous: someone put up a picture of a Gruen Curvex and they are simply lovely so it's hard not to go snooping after one of those.... I fear it may be I just like collecting...

And comparing the photos on the site of the 62.2 movement to the photo I have, I can't see any obvious differences - even the serial number seems to be in the right form. I think it's been the format of the serial number on the rear of the case and not being able to find any images of something similar that's gotten me anxious.
    Last edited by genji; November 13th, 2010 at 09:28.

Quote Originally Posted by genji View Post
    ...they are simply lovely so it's hard not to go snooping after one of those.... I fear it may be I just like collecting...
    Welcome to our world! Fun isn't it?
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Welcome to our world! Fun isn't it?

Yes, but this is the wrong time of year - our shop tends to go a bit quiet now for 4 months or so ....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information