Spikins of London - 1911 Silver pw pictures.

Thread: Spikins of London - 1911 Silver pw pictures.

Spikins of London - 1911 Silver pw pictures.

As requested, here are some pictures of my great grandfathers 1911 pocket watch.
    I'm dating the watch by the hallmarks on the case. The face is signed Spikins London, from Dent. The 7 jewel movement is not signed, but is English. I had it serviced in 1996, and it runs strongly and when worn keeps time to -2 seconds a day.

I believe this watch to have a mid to low end movement, with a standard Dennison case complete with 97 years worth of wear, making it worth about £40. I'm never, ever selling and I know this site does not allow valuations and I'm not asking. However, I would appreciate any "Yes, ballpark" or "No, wildly innacurate" comments.

If anyone can tell me any more about the watch'es, or movement's origins I'd be very pleased to hear from you.

The movement serial number is 301418, the case is 243793.
    Cheers,
    Mike.

PS. The last two pics are of my latest aquisition.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Spikins of London - 1911 Silver pw pictures.

I believe it is a Rotherham movement. Rotherham made around 430,000 movements from 1880 till 1920. The English watch experts may know more.
    You won't be able to wheedle a valuation out of me though. Nice try.
    But it's not a high end watch. Sentimental value far outweighs what it would bring at auction.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Re: Spikins of London - 1911 Silver pw pictures.

Ray,
    Your valuation is extremely accurate! (Yes, you did just give one!) The sentimental value of this watch is much higher than any monetary value, whether it was worth £10 or £10,000.

To be honest, I'm not looking for a valuation. I just wanted to know if I was in the ballpark. If someone turned around and said, that Spikins is extremely rare, or I had some quirky sought after movement, then I would need to get it professionally valued and insured appropriately. My assesment is that it's a low end, commonal gardenal silver pocket watch typical of it's era. As such, I don't think it's worth even thinking about a valuation. From what you've said, sounds like I'm right.

Thanks for the hint on the Rotherham movement, I will go google.

Thread Information