Stabilis W. Co - Swiss?

Thread: Stabilis W. Co - Swiss?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stabilis W. Co - Swiss?

Looking for any info on Stabilis Watch Company. I found the name on the forum in a List of Rare Swiss Watches & Manufacturers, but have found no more. Any info on the years of operation? Trying to get info on pocket watch; movement ID: Stabilis W. Co., Swiss;Adjusted;17 jewels, to 4 positions;Temperature; S. #142525. Case: Wadsworth Referee, 4384623. Jewelers marks: 12-13-464; 170472; 3967. Thanks much to anyone who can add to this!

Re: Stabilis W. Co - Swiss?

We'd probably need pictures. Mikrolisk lists Stabilis as a trademark of the "Record Dreadnaught Watch Company/Fabrique Stabilis", registered in 1919 in La Chaux de Fonds. Record Dreadnaught has multiple other trademarks, but only this one has the "Fabrique Stabilis", which suggests that Fabrique Stabilis was the name of the movement maker used by Record Dreadnaught. "Movement Maker" doesn't necessarily mean they made the whole movment though; it was common for smaller watchmakers to source the basic watch as a rough ebauche that they'd then finish in their own facilities. Others may know more. I'm guessing that "Record Dreadnaught" is NOT the same company as the Record watch company, but that's only my guess.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

I've got a Stabilis(somewhere). My recollection is that it's kind of nondescript with an AS movement. I have seen Stabila? with the Wehrmacht movement and some of them are pretty interesting if not particularly sought after.
    Last edited by pithy; May 21st, 2013 at 22:36. Reason: sp
    Courtesy of ULF.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    I'm guessing that "Record Dreadnaught" is NOT the same company as the Record watch company, but that's only my guess.
    Oh yes it is.Name:  popcorn.gif
Views: 535
Size:  2.8 KB

See bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Record Watch Co. S.A., Tramelan-Dessus, Genve, La Chaux de Fonds, Les Pommerats, London
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

somewhere
    Attached Images Attached Images

Courtesy of ULF.

Well there ya go then. Betcha Frabrique Stabilis was one of the "several companies" that merged.

Hi and welcome
    Seems STABILIS was part of the 'RECORD Watch Co' Tramelan-Dessus - Geneva
    In 1924 RECORD head office were moved to Geneva, leaving the STABILIS at the old address in La Chaux de Fonds (so we know STABALIS was being used prior to 1924)

Ah!
    in 1916 an advert appeared announcing dramatic changes, Record changed its name to 'Record Dreadnought Watch Co. which consisted (among others) STABILIS

Thats what I could dig up - I got NO idea the date of your watch no serial numbering exist, but pictures would help

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: Kathleen Pritchard - Swiss Time Makers
    Regards
    adam
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; May 22nd, 2013 at 10:14.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Flip side of the "Stabilis" shown above. I don't see any Record dna here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Courtesy of ULF.

Hardly surprising giving that yours is from the 40s or later, at least several decades after Stabilis became part of the Record group, and is a rather low end piece. Indeed, it's far enough removed from the 1919 registration that one could well imagine it has no relationship to the original Stabilis whatsoever.

The OP's watch is a pocketwatch, and based on the markings a very good one (given how expensive it was to import a watch with those specifications).
    Last edited by AbslomRob; May 23rd, 2013 at 13:42.

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Hardly surprising giving that yours is from the 40s or later, at least several decades after Stabilis became part of the Record group, and is a rather low end piece. Indeed, it's far enough removed from the 1919 registration that one could well imagine it has no relationship to the original Stabilis whatsoever. The OP's watch is a pocketwatch, and based on the markings a very good one (given how expensive it was to import a watch with those specifications).
    That's a seven jewel AS 1690/92! Amazing how cheezy that brushed finish looks. I suspect that there are a few other non-Record associated Stabilis labelers.
    Courtesy of ULF.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information