Started the journey with this Universal Geneve FS (Ferrovie dello Stato)
Like Tree8Likes
  • 8 Post By leftystevie

Thread: Started the journey with this Universal Geneve FS (Ferrovie dello Stato)

Started the journey with this Universal Geneve FS (Ferrovie dello Stato)

While searching an Omega as my first vintage watch: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/hel...h-4684935.html, this UG came up to me the other day on Chrono24. I did a quick research and thought it was legit. The "FS" on the case back stands for Ferrovie dello Stato which is State Railways in Italian? Meaning this piece was probably worn on the wrist of an Italian railways employee back in 1960s.

I really like the simple look and the little story behind. The price was a little over 200 euros, so I thought it would be a good start for my recently developed love about vintage watches. The watch arrived yesterday and I just love it. Since I was afraid of overwinding the watch, I only did a quick check on whether its operational or not. The watch was accurate in my first day of wearing it, I did not remember the seconds but the difference was within a minute for sure. I just gave it a full wind and will give a more accurate test later. Just can't wait to share my happiness here . Here are some quick pictures I snapped yesterday:
    Name:  IMG_20180421_133121.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  4.20 MB
    Name:  IMG_20180422_210353.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  3.43 MB
    And this is the movement picture of the original listing, it says "recently serviced" in the description part. Do I need to get it serviced?
    Name:  微信截图_20180423125756.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  42.7 KB

Re: Started the journey with this Universal Geneve FS (Ferrovie dello Stato)

Beautiful. Congratulations on the purchase -- wear it in good health. And my UG says hello.

Name:  un.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  81.1 KB
    Omega | Universal Geneve | Breitling/DPW | Hamilton | Citizen | Vertigo | G-Shock

Correct. This is a watch for the Italian Railroad. The number on the back refers to the internal records of the railroad company. Like in many other countries, certain employees had to wear a reliable watch at work. They had mostly been paid by the employees themselves, perhaps in instalments deducted from the salary (the Geman scheme f.i.). This was all done away with when the much more precise and substantially cheaper quartz watches came along.

Here is a good link with further info on the subject:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/univ...y-watch.55668/

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Scribeliever View Post
    Beautiful. Congratulations on the purchase -- wear it in good health. And my UG says hello.

Name:  un.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  81.1 KB
    Thanks! Your piece looks amazing especially under the sun!

Quote Originally Posted by Border-Reiver View Post
    Correct. This is a watch for the Italian Railroad. The number on the back refers to the internal records of the railroad company. Like in many other countries, certain employees had to wear a reliable watch at work. They had mostly been paid by the employees themselves, perhaps in instalments deducted from the salary (the Geman scheme f.i.). This was all done away with when the much more precise and substantially cheaper quartz watches came along.

Here is a good link with further info on the subject:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/univ...y-watch.55668/
    Thanks for this further info of it. I'm surprised that they had been paid by themselves...Initially, I thought the employees wore them because the watches were given to them. I wonder if they had other choices back then?

Very handsome.

Thread Information