Starter Pocket Watch, $80-100 Max?

Thread: Starter Pocket Watch, $80-100 Max?

Starter Pocket Watch, $80-100 Max?

Hello all!

I'm looking for a classy pocket watch for a friend. I have an Amazon gift card which I need to use towards the watch purchase, so my options are limited to the brands on Amazon.

I love the look of the skeleton watches, so that detail would be a nice addition.

My max budget is $80-100.

Anyone familiar with Charles-Hubert watches? Do you think these brand watches in the $80-100 range might be a good choice?

Thanks so much!!

Re: Starter Pocket Watch, $80-100 Max?

I have no first-hand knowledge, but this : Charles-Hubert Paris watch - National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Message Board may be helpful for you.

All new pocket watches in your price range will be Chinese - irrespective of their claimed heritage.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

pej

I'd sell the gift card and buy a late 1800s Waltham on ebay.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You can't "use" a late 1800's Waltham bought on Ebay for under $100, in any practical sense; any used watch bought through eBay will need to be serviced (which itself costs between $50 and $150 dollars, assuming that nothing needs replacement) otherwise it'll become a paperweight in very short order.

The advantage of the Chinese watches is that they usually work well enough for the money, are ready to wear, and have at least some semblance of a warranty. For someone that isn't a "watch person", that's the ideal situation. And if it feeds a nascent interest in mechanical watches, even better. And if they end up throwing it in a drawer after two weeks, there's no real loss.

In general, the watches you see all have the same basic engine, so what you're paying for is the name and the business model of the seller. A more expensive watch will likely have a slightly better warranty, or better service, or even slightly better QA processes (which will weed out the truely horrible specimens that a low-cost mass production system will create).

If you do buy one of them, make a point of "timing" it against a trusted time source over a period of a week or so; if the watch doesn't keep within five minutes a week, send it back for a refund (make sure you can do that before you buy) and then try again. Don't wait or let them try to "repair" it or otherwise try to lead you on.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thread Information