Stauffer Center Seconds trench watch from 1915
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Stauffer Center Seconds trench watch from 1915

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Stauffer Center Seconds trench watch from 1915

I won this old trench watch from Ebay last week and whilst waiting for some parts
    to arrive from Argentina for another watch I have spread over my workspace, I thought
    we'd take look at this one.

It is a Stauffer, center seconds from 1915 in a 9ct case. I usually don't buy trench watches
    in gold cases as they are overpriced but this is quite rare being an early center seconds so I
    had to have a punt.
    (I could have bought 1570 of Marricks penny watches for what I had to pay for this).

It is newly surfaced, being an old family piece that nobody wanted..."put that old watch on ebay,
    I'm sure its gold"...oh well, I'll have it.

The movement is 30mm dia and the case dia is 33.25mm, there is no indication on the movement as to
    the movement maker, it is entirely possible that Stuaffer imported this movement and modified it in
    his own workshops to center seconds. If that is the case then I think this movement would originaly have been
    produced as a fobwatch movement with subseconds at 6.0clock.

The movement is presently dismantled on my bench and it has a problem (which as Trim points out, most
    watches of this antiquity have).

Both top and btm center holes have been rebushed at some time and the center wheel is slightly out of upright
    resulting in the center seconds hand having a very fluttery action as the teeth from the drive wheel and pinion
    are meshing intermittently.
    The bush in the bridge has been set and tightened around the edge with a center punch!!!!..not good practice.

One or both bushes will have to be replaced and the wheel uprighted, unfortunately this has halted procedings as I need to
    clear workspace and set up the mandril head (an attachment for the lathe which allows for the accurate centering
    of opposing pivot holes). But slow is good, I enjoy laid back hobbies.
    Marrick, Sparcster, joeuk and 2 others like this.

Re: Stauffer Center Seconds trench watch from 1915

Very nice Radger.... and for 1570p.... that is an absolute steal!!!!

You could have bought half of my 64T cal for that.

If only I would have seen it.... but as I dont really look at gold cases, I can see how it may have slipped the net! An early centre second is something I am still searching for.... so am quite jealous!

Both the dial and case look in great shape and will clean up very nicely!

As far as bargains go.... its one of the best I have seen on here!

Congrats and look forward to seeing the final thing!

Marc
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Agree totally. A real beauty, and a terrific price. Well bought that man!Name:  clap.gif
Views: 722
Size:  1.7 KB
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Congratulations! You deserve an extra special watch.

p
    Courtesy of ULF.

Thanks fellas, I'm very pleased with this old watch.
    It's a pity about the hairlines in the dial but I can live with those no probs. On a watch
    such as this I can't be chosey and there's not much wrong with it really.

Ooops did I say I could buy 1570 penny watches for the price I paid for this, I meant fifteen thousand
    seven hundred.... is my face red. I paid £157.00, no wonder you thought it was so cheap, if only.

Quote Originally Posted by radger View Post

Ooops did I say I could buy 1570 penny watches for the price I paid for this, I meant fifteen thousand
    seven hundred.... is my face red. I paid £157.00, no wonder you thought it was so cheap, if only.
    LOL.... I read it as £157 to start with and thought it was a bargain... but before I posted, I realised you had put £15.70.... hence why I was blown away!! Solid gold, centre second Stauffer..... Still a bargain in my eyes!

Hairlines will clean up!
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

If I had to take a guess, it's an Orion (or both Orion and Stauffer used the same base movement)

The bridge work shown in this 1936 image is very similar to your watch and there is even a centre second version. The Ref 1325 shown on the bottom right (and upside down) is probably what your movement is based on as they both than a similar layout.

I've included the setting parts in the hope it also helps.

Cheers from the cellar
    SilkeN likes this.

Greg, you are the master of the obscure. Cellar! Cellar!

p
    Courtesy of ULF.

Beautiful watch, super bargain and great that it has been saved from the scrap man.

Quote Originally Posted by radger View Post
    The movement is presently dismantled on my bench and it has a problem (which as Trim points out, most
    watches of this antiquity have).
    A sad fact of life. I have been troubleshooting the escapement on the Font 26 for 3 days - and now I am think someone has replaced the exit pallet jewel with one that is too long, as it cannot be adjusted inwards sufficiently. I don't think the escape wheel is too large, as the entry; pallet, drop and lever angle are excellent. Ah well, time to work on something else for a while, so I can think about it. The good thing is, that this is a deep learning experience for me - I've never had to examine a escapement to this degree previously.
    Last edited by trim; April 10th, 2012 at 03:04.

Thank you Cellar,

An Orion looks like a good candidate for this movement and is the closest looking
    movement I've saw.
    Unfortunately the setting mechanisms doesn't help as this earlier movement
    is pin set even though it is on a sliding sleeve rather than rocking bar, but it could easily be an earlier Orion.
    I can't find anything on Orion, strange how quality movements such as these would slip into relative obscurity.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information