Stima Pocket Watch

Thread: Stima Pocket Watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stima Pocket Watch

I recently was studying abroad in Rome and bought this pocket watch. Ive been researching what year and the model, but cant find anything. I know that its a Stima but have never heard of this brand. One of the springs is not working and it wont wind and i took it to a shop and the man working on it said he couldnt fix it because there are no available parts for it anymore. If anyone can tell me any information about this watch, that would be great, and if its worth trying to get fixed. Thanks

Name:  IMG_0120.JPG
Views: 1223
Size:  1.35 MB

Re: Stima Pocket Watch

Pics of the movement would be most helpful. In the stickies at the top of the forum page are links to articles... one of them will tell you how to open pocket watch cases...
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I can't find anything about Stima in the usual places. But this happens in here all the time - thousands of watch brands came and went. As Eeeb says, a movement pic is essential - and it may have a common movement spare parts for which are easily sourced. Or not. Its a nice looking watch.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Name:  IMG_0124.jpg
Views: 13015
Size:  654.1 KB

That's great. I don't recognise it - but someone who can will probably stop by in due course.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

If the mainspring is broken, it can be replaced with one of the same size. (thickness, length, width) The hairspring would be a slightly more complicated matter.

Im not sure which spring is broken, i cant remember what the guys said. So i guess now my question is, whats the best place to take it to get fixed, because the guy i took it to said he couldnt fix it.

I would call around to several watchmakers, and ask them before you go down if they work on pocket watches. Some don't at all. If they look at it and say it can't be fixed, write down why it can't be fixed, or why they say it can't. Keep in mind, almost anything can be fixed, but the time and cost might be high. Making parts for an old watch is time consuming and therefore expensive. For example, what kills most old watches is a broken staff, because they had no shock protection. Making a new staff takes time and a lot of watchmakers just don't do it anymore. Oftentimes it falls into the category of restoration work.

Looks Swiss to me. Nice watch. I agree with Outta Time's assessment. Find a qualified serviceman to clean, oil and adjust it as well as fixing it. Don't give it to anyone who hasn't worked on vintage pocket watches and don't give it to anyone who isn't going to completely disassemble the watch for cleaning. One thing to keep in mind: you want to find the best watch repair shop, not the closest. You may find that the best option is to mail it to a repairman rather than just dropping it off at the mall jeweler. I've been collecting American railroad grade pocket watches for years and I routinely mail them in for service. It's a far better option than taking it to someone who could easily do more damage than good.

So what year do you think this is? It has a date and initials scratched in to the inside of the case, 11-7-32. Looks like someones birthday.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information