Strange Favre-Leuba Eterna watch (Any thoughts)
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Strange Favre-Leuba Eterna watch (Any thoughts)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Strange Favre-Leuba Eterna watch (Any thoughts)

I always like odd thing's (you should have seen my ex wives) but this is to me at least is a little odd a Favre-Leuba Eterna ?
    Face age worn but still clearly marked Favre - Leuba with Eterna below and of course Swiss Made
    Movement marked Eterna (Eterna 1274U and dated by serial number 1953)
    Case also marked Eterna Watch Co

Name:  FL-eterna.JPG
Views: 622
Size:  75.2 KB

Name:  Eterna1274U.JPG
Views: 567
Size:  97.4 KB

Name:  case.JPG
Views: 528
Size:  35.0 KB

I splashed out very little money on this one and so far it is running well the movement itself looks in a good condition under a loupe no sign of damage at all that i can see. Face as you can see is worse for wear for a 1953 watch as anyone any ideas i have contacted Eterna to see if they have any thoughts on this one. Reading on the net there as never been a recorded marriage of the two companies that i could find so a Eterna re-badged but that to me begs the question would that not be like getting an Omega and putting a Timex face on it. I can understand that you do see well respected companies with cheap replacement movements i just don't know about this one would like a better face but it is growing on me as i wear it.
    Thoughts welcome if they can add to the mystery that is - don't need loads of no such beast about impossible because so far that is all i am running into.

Re: Strange Favre-Leuba Eterna watch (Any thoughts)

I think that the watch was most probably sold in India where FL had a very strong presence - and Eterna was probably a little-known brand.

This thread https://forums.watchuseek.com/f27/fav...th-225227.html confirms that FL sold co-branded watches in conjunction with Zenith for the Indian market - so there's no reason for them not to have done so with Eterna.
    pr1uk likes this.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Hi there,

I have honestly never seen a Favre Leuba Eterna branded watch before!

I know of the connection between Favre Leuba and other swiss brands... But not Eterna...

The dial font looks a little dubious to me.

where did you pick it up from?
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sparcster View Post
    Hi there,

I have honestly never seen a Favre Leuba Eterna branded watch before!

I know of the connection between Favre Leuba and other swiss brands... But not Eterna...

The dial font looks a little dubious to me.

where did you pick it up from?
    I have looked using a loupe and the printing looks to me as it should the seller was in the UK and said he picked it up at a car boot

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I must say that I too am rather skeptical. The "Eterna" on the dial looks darker and the "Eterna" engraving on the case back shinier and more recent. At this stage, on the basis of the above, I am a little suspicious that the movement might not be original to the watch either.....

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    I must say that I too am rather skeptical. The "Eterna" on the dial looks darker and the "Eterna" engraving on the case back shinier and more recent. At this stage, on the basis of the above, I am a little suspicious that the movement might not be original to the watch either.....

Hartmut Richter

I am also very skeptical the case is Eterna and the movement and the movement is dated 1953 by the serial number i would have thought an Eterna watch would have been worth more then a Favre Leuba so why would anyone change it. The cyristal is a deep one so front shots are hard to light but you can see the fonts on the two names are different fonts i have emailed Eterna but did not have any photos then but no response so far the watch was a car boot price so cheap and interesting i had to get it but all my research so far say it cannot be right. I did highlight the case to make the makers named stand out and the movement looking at many photos looks right plus it fits so well and as said Eterna movements can be dated by the serial number, just why it as been badged with a second lesser name intrigues me.

Name:  DSCF3092.JPG
Views: 440
Size:  35.0 KB

Name:  DSCF3097.JPG
Views: 472
Size:  35.4 KB

Thank you anyway and will i ever get to the bottom of this who knows

Hi Pr,

Eterna are normally very good at getting back to people... so hopefully they can spread some light onto it.

My 'history of Eterna' book is packed away so cant double check there to see if there are more details.

I looked at the listing (on Ebay) of this watch....

Using the sellers pics...

the dial font does not look as dubious.... that said your pics make the dial look far worse - has it been 'cleaned'?

Another thing I would note, is the batten 5 minute markers look slightly more gold coloured than the coppery hands (maybe they have been changed)... but that may just be the pics!

Its an odd one!
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pr1uk View Post
    i would have thought an Eterna watch would have been worth more then a Favre Leuba so why would anyone change it.
    I find nothing more unusual in this than I do in finding Birks Eternas being sold in Canada. This dial marking practice was quite normal for the Swiss companies selling into India. These companies all badge engineered watches to some degree or other, for example you might think that a Longines was worth more than a West End. It is perfectly possible that Eterna did the dial markings themselves - certainly some of the Swiss manufacturers appear to have offered this service.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparcster View Post
    Hi Pr,

Eterna are normally very good at getting back to people... so hopefully they can spread some light onto it.

My 'history of Eterna' book is packed away so cant double check there to see if there are more details.

I looked at the listing (on Ebay) of this watch....

Using the sellers pics...

the dial font does not look as dubious.... that said your pics make the dial look far worse - has it been 'cleaned'?

Another thing I would note, is the batten 5 minute markers look slightly more gold coloured than the coppery hands (maybe they have been changed)... but that may just be the pics!

Its an odd one!
    The seller was very good after i explained i believe it not to be as described we came to an agreement after the sell photos are hard i think because of the deep crystal any angle and things distort. Cleaned no as for battens and hands under daylight and a loupe the battens do look one shade different but where they have small wear marks they are the same shade making me think when produced the hands would have been one shade brighter.
    Odd one indeed still got it on and it is keeping good time oh and the two different fonts do stand out to me

Also thank you Mirius when i get any info from Eterna i will report back will wear the thing all day now then it can go into my collection box or as a friend told me once box of junk..

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    I find nothing more unusual in this than I do in finding Birks Eternas being sold in Canada. This dial marking practice was quite normal for the Swiss companies selling into India. These companies all badge engineered watches to some degree or other, for example you might think that a Longines was worth more than a West End. It is perfectly possible that Eterna did the dial markings themselves - certainly some of the Swiss manufacturers appear to have offered this service.
    Likely. Favre-Leuba had powerful brand presence in India, and the distributor there was a member of the family. In the Zenith picture, they are clearly a general watch retailer that also sold Zenith. It is quite likely that FL was a more respected and known brand there than Eterna. I would NOT reject the authenticity of this watch on the basis of implausibility.

Rick "suspecting Eterna benefitted from the association" Denney
    Zenith: Captain Chronograph 03.2110.400*; Cartier: Santos 100 XL Concord: Mariner, C1 Big-Date, C1 v.2 Chronograph; Ebel: Chronosport 1134901, Tekton 9137L83*, Type E 9137C41* (*=COSC)
    Ebel: 1911 BTR 9137L73* and 9139L71*, 1911 1120L41*, 1911 Senior 9080241, Brasilias 9120M41 (2), Aquatica 500 9120K61, Classic Hexagon GMT 9301F61, Classic 100 LE 9120R41; Baume & Mercier: Capeland World-Timer
    Heuer: Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3110; Maurice Lacroix: Masterpiece MP6439; "Seagull": 1963 Reissue cal. ST19; Seiko: Black Monster SRP307; Poljot: Sturmanskie cal. 3133; Tissot: T-Touch Lew and Huey: Acciona
    Vintage: JLC: ref. 2953, ca. 1946; Longines: Flagship cal 285; Zodiac: SST cal. 86, Aerospace GMT cal. 72; Favre-Leuba: cal. 253; Tianjin: Dong Feng cal. ST5; Elgin: Gr. 152 (1898), Gr. 384 (1919); Ebel: ca. 1962 ref. 9214955
    WUS: ST5 Project Watches (Black and Blue), F72.2014.DG3804 (Gray and Cream); Swatch: Sistem 51 Blue; TNT: Rattrapante cal. Rochat 7750+RAT-1

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information