strap change - vintage omega

Thread: strap change - vintage omega

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

strap change - vintage omega

Okay guys, so I just picked up a 1961 Omega from a friend of mine (no pics yet, and technical information upcoming). I have a great strap that I'd like to put on it, but can't for the life of me get the old one off. I know I'm not giving you a lot of information here, but are vintage omega spring bars lacking a ridge (or shoulder) to make it easy to remove them? I cannot find my loupe, but I do have the right tools, but the spring bar won't budge. I'd hate to run to the watch shop, but may need to unless one of you knows the "secret." Thanks for any ideas.

Banned

Re: strap change - vintage omega

Maybe it is rusted?
    One trick is to cut the springbars. You do not want to reuse such old springbars, anyway, as they can fail and you might lose the watch!

Just a thought:

If you won't use the old strap any longer, you could just cut it at the spot where the springbars are and expose them completey (I am sure you can then take them out - worst case with some pliers or a cable cutter)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Okay - the plot thickens. I took the watch up to a local jeweler (not a watchmaker), and he tells me that no wonder I couldn't get it off, the spring bar is solid and connected (directly to the lugs) and no spring. I guess the strap is stitched or glued around the bar. Never heard of that, but maybe that is common on older watches. So, how on earth would you replace a strap on something like that? Guess I'll start searching "solid springbar" Any ideas from the experts out there?

From what I know (which isn't much) that design was common for mil style watches that were being used with "Nato" style bands (where the band is a long single strip that goes under the watch). The solid bar is more secure then a spring bar. Bund style straps work well with that too.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

You'll find regular looking straps that various mechanisms that make them easily removable on fixed bars.

That is awesome. I need to find a strap like that one. I was sure they existed, but never seen one like that. The band on it now looks to be stitched around the bar. Thanks everyone.

Banned

Can you please post a pic of the watch?
    It is not common for a watch from 1961 to have fixed bars!
    Thank god you did not listen to my advise!!!!!!!!

I am a strapmaker and I have made several straps for customers with watches with fixed bars.
    I use rivets that are invisible from the top:

Just a thought ..

Okay - here are some pics. I got it from a friend who got it from the bay. The pics are from the original posting. No pics of the fixed lug. I think it will look better on brown (and higher quality) strap. From what I could research, it is a cal. 265 18k solid gold from 1961. It is my second vintage piece and first manual wind. I am not sure what is original and what is not, but she is a beaut. Whatcha think?

Name:  Omega 18K Rose 1961 1a.jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  43.0 KB

Name:  Omega 18K Rose 1961 1f.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  98.1 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information