Studebaker Watch help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By LeoH
  • 1 Post By LeoH

Thread: Studebaker Watch help

Studebaker Watch help

It's partly help with the watch and help with the wife I just spent $300 today getting a grade 227 watch repaired at a local shop, which had a number of highly positive high end watch reviews, but a few things concern me.

I was wiping the inside of the case cover, wiping off fingerprints and smudges inside, I MAY have inadvertantly touched the balance wheel while doing this, but maybe not, but it stopped but then restarted when I slightly rewound the watch. This was about 2 hours after I got the watch home. 4 hours later though, I noticed the watch has stopped. It does start again when rewound, but I was told by the watch repair guy, just wind once in the morning.
    Also, after I noticed the watch had stopped, I pulled up on the stem, but he hands don't seem to engage. I do plan to take the watch back to him next week to ask about these issues, but any comments from folks here are appreciated.

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Re: Studebaker Watch help

Take the watch back-I doubt you did any damage to cause this sort of problem if you did inadvertently brush the balance wheel when you were wiping out the case back.

Also-as far as pulling out the stem not engaging the hand setting-are you sure this isn't a lever set watch? Otherwise, if it's truly pendant set, the stem sleeve needs to be backed out a bit. This is about a 5 minute repair for someone with the right tools(specifically a sleeve wrench), but a whole lot more difficult without them.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Phew. Thanks for the information. I'll take it back Monday. It is a standard watch knob, so I assume it's a pendant set watch. It's been keeping pretty good time since I rewound it after it stopped the first time. I'm not wondering now if the watchmaker didn't wind it fully when I picked it up and the watch just ran down.

Leo

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_hutcherson View Post
    Take the watch back-I doubt you did any damage to cause this sort of problem if you did inadvertently brush the balance wheel when you were wiping out the case back.

Also-as far as pulling out the stem not engaging the hand setting-are you sure this isn't a lever set watch? Otherwise, if it's truly pendant set, the stem sleeve needs to be backed out a bit. This is about a 5 minute repair for someone with the right tools(specifically a sleeve wrench), but a whole lot more difficult without them.
    busmatt likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You were correct. The watchmaker apologized and showed me how the lever set mechanism worked and now I know.

Leo

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_hutcherson View Post

Paleotime likes this.

Thread Information