Stunning find, tucked away for 25+ years
Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By dmitrzak1
  • 1 Post By Dan S

Thread: Stunning find, tucked away for 25+ years

I took a July 4th trip to visit some family in Virginia and walked away with a true gem. I was gifted my great grandfathers Juvenia Arithmo Calculator watch. I can't seem to get over it's beauty. He passed away 25 years ago and this had been tucked away for at least that long. Upon receiving I've looked up everything I could find on the piece(not much) but it's history is rather perculiar. Runs about +48spd so far. Looking to get it serviced soon. No intentions of selling but does anyone have a clue what it's worth? They are very hard to come by. Name:  20190706_180946_1562451143708.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  3.84 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Stunning find, tucked away for 25+ years

Look up sold items on eBay. One recently sold there for $1400. Not exactly like yours and doesn't account for condition but it's a reference point at least. Go to eBay advanced search. Used items sold at auction

Quote Originally Posted by Giotime View Post
    Look up sold items on eBay. One recently sold there for $1400. Not exactly like yours and doesn't account for condition but it's a reference point at least. Go to eBay advanced search. Used items sold at auction
    Yes I see the two that sold recently. The one is very similar. The other is plated in gold so It sold for quite a bit more. Besides those two and some asking prices online that seem pretty inflated I can't find many more listings.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

They are desirable watches, and not common, but the discoloration of the dial will keep the value on the low end of the spectrum.

What a cool heirloom!!!!
    A friend is truly a prize indeed, others not so much. So if I lead you believe you're in the latter, please read........
    http://markmanson.net/internet

Thanks simpletreasures!

And yes the discoloration is a bummer but i expected nothing less for something 70 years old. It was also kept in a smokers home after he had passed away so I am sure that didnt help. It would unnecessary to have that dial restored as I dont plan to sell it.

Fun, collectible, and interesting watch. If you're not going to sell it, then the value doesn't really matter. These things fluctuate over time anyway. Just remember, not everything that is uncommon is incredibly valuable. These Juvenia pieces are fairly obscure curiosities, and the collectible market for them is small compared to major brands and more conventional watches. This is not a criticism, I think it's a great watch.
    redcow likes this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
    Fun, collectible, and interesting watch. If you're not going to sell it, then the value doesn't really matter. These things fluctuate over time anyway. Just remember, not everything that is uncommon is incredibly valuable. These Juvenia pieces are fairly obscure curiosities, and the collectible market for them is small compared to major brands and more conventional watches. This is not a criticism, I think it's a great watch.
    I definitely agree on it being more of a curiosity. I fell in love with it as soon as I was given it. It appears my great grandfather had the same taste as I do, just wished I got to have a conversation with him about it. You are right that price does not matter but its always nice to know what it could be valued at. It is hard to find a consensus due to the small number sold. Depending on condition it seems they fall anywhere from $700 to $3500. To get those prices you need someone willing to buy it with the same passion.

Thread Information