Stunning Restoration Work on Vintage Seikos
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Stunning Restoration Work on Vintage Seikos

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stunning Restoration Work on Vintage Seikos

Check out the ludicrous attention to detail on these Seiko restorations. The brushed case finishing, the angles, etc., look like new from factory. Had no idea this was possible, thought all restorations were destructive 'swap and polish' jobs. This is an entirely different thing though.

Some mighty fine Seikos too.
    laikrodukas, OhDark30 and rfortson like this.

Re: Stunning Restoration Work on Vintage Seikos

Did you forget the link? I'm not seeing any pictures here.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by todoroki View Post
    Did you forget the link? I'm not seeing any pictures here.
    Links appear valid. We get this from time to time and I’m unclear on exactly where the issue is.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The images are working again. Whatever, no picture showing? That's an easy one to fix: Pretend to reply to the post (via reply with quote), paste and copy the image link, put it in your browser's address bar and Bingo! P.S. Do not forget to leave the reply section again via 'cancel'. If you can fix watches, you can fix anything!

And yes, nicely done, although a lot of vintage watch collectors will start wining about the fact that it is not original anymore, has lost its valuable scratches on case and crystal or its patina and water stains on the dial. No more gunk from history, no more scraped skin on the crown and body lotion between the lugs and above all, sometimes they even take off the verdigris on the spring bars, or, even worse, dare to replace them. What a shame! I tell you, some people have sent in a Rolex for a service and complain that the watch came back like new.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Border-Reiver; October 18th, 2018 at 11:53.

now that's some polishing skills, level 99999
    bruno_sfc likes this.
    Chaos is my focus

The photos are not working for me. Combined with the constant double-posting issues and the extremely slow response and long loading times, I wonder if the owners of WUS are considering migrating to a better platform. I like F11, but I find myself spending more time on other forums that are more pleasant to use and have better features.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    The photos are not working for me. Combined with the constant double-posting issues and the extremely slow response and long loading times, I wonder if the owners of WUS are considering migrating to a better platform. I like F11, but I find myself spending more time on other forums that are more pleasant to use and have better features.
    Amen to that!

I've said it a number of times previously, and have posted issues on the correct forum: WUS has the worst interface of any of the many watch forums that I use. I understand that after the site was hacked, there was pressure to increase security, but in several important respects, WUS is a hassle to use, and that isn't the case with many other, apparently secure competitors.

It's a shame, as I like the members who contribute here, as well as the moderators, but the owners, in my view, have consistently fallen down on the job.
    simpletreasures likes this.

No collector should object to poor condition watches which would otherwise be unusable - which is a large portion of vintage watches available - being restored. It's bad restoration, or restoration of pristine examples which is a no-no.

I'm a purist who cares about preserving the original condition and history of a vintage piece, probably even more fanatically than the average collector. However I think people are kidding themselves when they pretend aged dials or rusty hands are a good thing, let alone a scratched up case or crystal. I'll admit certain gently patinated pieces look good - usually pre 1960 watches with relatively simple design. On highly polished and detailed watches like a vintage Grand Seiko, however, spots on the dial and rusty hands just look shabby.

At the end of the day the restoration question comes down to the condition the watch is in. Basketcases or poor restorations (probably more of the second category available) are prime candidates for GOOD restoration, anything in very good and above condition probably shouldn't be touched.
    bruno_sfc likes this.

(cont'd)

Really, it's no different from cars. At any given time there are cars out there ranging from unrestored and original "survivors" in good condition, "correct" restorations using OEM parts and respecting the original design, to hackjob restomods baring little resemblance to the original automobile, to broken down basketcases waiting to return to the earth or be restored.

There's no sense in preserving the high mileage, rusty junk cars in their as-found condition, but for some reason that's what people want to do with watches. I just think CORRECT restoration of the BADLY WORN vintage watches doesn't get enough credit since people associate any restoration with poor restoration. More Grand Seikos expertly restored to as-new, glittering condition can only be good for vintage watch collectors.
    OhDark30 and bruno_sfc like this.

For those who cant see the pics: https://www.instagram.com/lapinist_watchrestoration/

I have to say those are fantastic restorations. I think most people innately view watches as mechanical jewelry. Sure there are people who prefer a watch which retains its usage history/characteristics but that is just personal preference. With results so good, i would happily have even good looking vintage pieces treated if they come out looking like modern zaratsu finished cases :0
    laikrodukas, Tony C. and bruno_sfc like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information