Stupidest thing yudid when you got the watch home.

Thread: Stupidest thing yudid when you got the watch home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stupidest thing yudid when you got the watch home.

I was checking the Le Rose for the date and broke off the crown. I was praising for days how amazing it was and I should not have played with it. The more I played with it the more it became evident it was jammed, so I tried harder SNAP.SHHHHHoot. Please tell me that I am not the only one to do something stupid. Ow it still works great and is still possible to set if I hold it in the hole.

Re: Stupidest thing yudid when you got the watch home.

I've always been interested in pocket watches, from the age of six. I just think they're SO cool. When I approached 20, my mind was fairly made up that I wanted a nice pocket watch. A proper one. Something gold, which was mechanical and in good condition and good quality.

To this end, I started buying cheap pocket watches, just to get used to wearing one before I bought my first SERIOUS watch. One of these cheap watches I bought was a cheap mechanical thing that cost me all of...$30, I think. It was one of those no-name, low-class vintage pocket watches, the kind that most people here would steer away from.

The moment I got it home, I dropped it.

Fortunately, that performance has not been repeated with any of my other three, significantly more expensive and better-quality pocket watches.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

I got a nice 50s vintage Longines and broke the stem while setting the time for the first time... it just pulled out when I evidently gave too hard a tug!

Took it to the watchmaker and he laughed... it was a two part stem and comes apart in order to lift out the movement via the front (a front-loader... never seen them before at the time).

That made me feel more stupid than most things I do...
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Before I went to watchmaking school, all I knew was that I liked old watches. I had at least 7 or 8, and had the good sense to listen when someone told me to get them all serviced. I serviced them one by one, when I got the money, and it took over a year, but they were all serviced. Then I found a NOS watch at a flea market, and, for some reason, I thought, 'hey, this is like new, so It doesn't need any work done'. It was from the sixties, and the movement was gleaming and flawless, the dial pristine and the case crisp. I had it on a lizard strap and wore it daily. I began to notice, after about a month, that it was getting stiff when I wound it, and that it made a different sound than it did before. I wondered about this, and continued to wear the watch. After another month, something broke when I was winding it. During my first month at school, I took it to a Professeur. He showed me the movement under a microscope, and observed that it was bone dry, having not been serviced in decades. The movement had destroyed itself, shearing leaves off pinions, and grinding rubies til they shed ruby dust. Fortunately we had parts in our inventory, and the other students helped me fix it and service it. To this day, it is a reminder to myself of what can happen in the absence of lubrication.

Thank you I am getting the watch lubricated soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Outta Time View Post
    Before I went to watchmaking school, all I knew was that I liked old watches. I had at least 7 or 8, and had the good sense to listen when someone told me to get them all serviced. I serviced them one by one, when I got the money, and it took over a year, but they were all serviced. Then I found a NOS watch at a flea market, and, for some reason, I thought, 'hey, this is like new, so It doesn't need any work done'. It was from the sixties, and the movement was gleaming and flawless, the dial pristine and the case crisp. I had it on a lizard strap and wore it daily. I began to notice, after about a month, that it was getting stiff when I wound it, and that it made a different sound than it did before. I wondered about this, and continued to wear the watch. After another month, something broke when I was winding it. During my first month at school, I took it to a Professeur. He showed me the movement under a microscope, and observed that it was bone dry, having not been serviced in decades. The movement had destroyed itself, shearing leaves off pinions, and grinding rubies til they shed ruby dust. Fortunately we had parts in our inventory, and the other students helped me fix it and service it. To this day, it is a reminder to myself of what can happen in the absence of lubrication.
    Okay. You scared me. I'm putting a bunch of watches out of circ. until serviced. Thanx. I'm sure I be thanking you again someday.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

LOL! I wasn't trying to scare anybody, but I would take that cautionary tale, and temper it with the value of your watch. The rarer or more valuable, (sentimental as well) the more you might want to look after it, or at least, put it at the top of the list for svc. Keep in mind, this was an extreme case. We assume the watch had not been serviced, and just sat in a drawer or whatever for 30 odd yrs. It certainly had not been worn prior to me getting it. It was just an old Ermano Aquastar or whatever they call that sub/FF lookalike of theirs, but I liked it, and I still do. Found a crappy pic of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

As others have done, I managed to break the stem of a Zentra while trying to open the watch on the day it arrived.

After a lot of help from people in here to identify the movement, I finally identified it as a Durowe that a replacement stem was not available for in this country. Managed to sort it in the end though.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/zen...se-238899.html

A good learning experience in hindsight.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    A good learning experience in hindsight.
    and...

...you have 299 spare stems

About 295 now - I've managed to use a few others. There are a lot of duplicates in there too.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information