Suggestion requested - Wishing to purchase
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Suggestion requested - Wishing to purchase

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Suggestion requested - Wishing to purchase

I use a pocket watch for a number of reasons (which is why for over 20 years I just put my wrist watch in my pocket), but perhaps the best is that it simply suits who I am (I still enjoy shooting film and printing in my own darkroom). This is why I have been so patient over the years with my pocket watches.

For some reason, pocket watches and I do not get along. They always remain in the little pocket in my jeans, so they do not get knocked around, but they just don't seem to last very long. I had a vintage watch for about six months before the mechanism that held the cover closed started to fail (I was told that it would be very expensive to fix), and I have had modern watches that have not lasted long either. The longest I have had one has been about two years, which is the one that most recently failed.

So I am trying to decide my next step. I am willing to pay up to $200 for a good pocket watch and was wondering if anyone might have a suggestion. I am not knowledgeable about pocket watches (other than wearing them) and am not looking for a long term investment, just a reliable and accurate pocket watch I can fit in the little pocket of my jeans.

Any recommendations? Best case scenario would be to have one that will last me the next 20 years and if there is a direction I can take to put me in the direction of that best scenario then I would appreciate knowing it.

Cheers -

george

Re: Suggestion requested - Wishing to purchase

I am afraid Your requirements are too high for a vintage pocket watch :)
    Maybe You should try modern quartz pocket watch or a not so modern pocket watch with small wristwatch movement with a popoff caseback?

Something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAKETA-VIN...item2c88aed554
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RUSSIAN-po...item258f4bc1cc
    Last edited by laikrodukas; August 7th, 2014 at 16:53.
    Chaos is my focus

I'm sure you're right about the vintage watches. <g>

Actually, I had seen the first one you linked to but not the second one. Open face is what I want, as I do not have a need for a case since it stays in the little pocket by itself.

FWIW, one of the watches I have been looking at is http://www.pocketwatchcentral.com/cl...-pocket-watch/ - I have no idea about the quality of Classique.

Cheers -

george
    Last edited by GLSmyth; August 7th, 2014 at 17:01.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Elgin pocket watches from the 20's have screw on fronts and backs and slip down a pocket better them most others so check them out.

Name:  P8078538.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  157.7 KB
    Here is one I got for next to nothing in a job lot a week ago.

For $200 you should be able to get a real nice one.

I actually looked specifically at Elgin watches because I have heard of them and have heard that they are good quality watches. Most of the ones I saw noted that they needed work, which made me shy away. If I can find one that is ready to go then perhaps that would be a possibility.

Cheers -

george
    Last edited by GLSmyth; August 7th, 2014 at 17:39.

If you search world wide on ebay for Waltham, Hamilton or Elgin, you will find great quality, hard wearing pieces.
    I personally like Waltham for quality and strength.

No need to buy quartz.
    I too wear a pocket watch, and have a number of basic Walthams, Hamiltons and Elgins.

adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

I wonder if the thing to do would be to buy one of those inexpensively and then now worry about how long it will last.

Cheers -

george

Quote Originally Posted by GLSmyth View Post
    I wonder if the thing to do would be to buy one of those inexpensively and then now worry about how long it will last.

Cheers -

george
    Hi George
    It will last.
    Servicing is also cheap and simple on them
    adam
    SilkeN likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

I wear vintage pocket watches. The only one I "used-up" was by a friend a self served russian Molnija around 1950 for round about $ 20 after extensive wearing at work and parties for more than five years. The minutehand fether was gone weak and it could be fixed again in a service but I wanted a new one and the pocket watch fever still burns.

Therefore don't be afraid to wear a vintage watch. Buy a nice and running watch on the bay and ask your watchmaker before you buy for the price of a service. This is absolute nessesary. Take yourself time until you found your watch. I don't know a lot about american watches. Personally I like to wear my Hamilton with a 922 movement. It's a very good movement but not as special that many collectors are looking for. The price should match with your budget including service. I guess it's the same with Waltham and Elgin. If you wan't a very smal one for the smal fifth pocket maybe you should look for a gruen very thin.

Watches were build for wearing - just take care of them and don't forget service. Don't believe all ebay sellers if they write: serviced . Be careful and look for the pic's and the text of his rewies. Don't buy a vintage without pic's of the movement. This is lottery for collectors.

Kind regards Silke

Oh we forget Howard/ Keystone (the E.Howards are to special ):

Name:  howard.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  147.1 KB

I've bought it because of the "drunken" numbers . The movement is standart for them and very good. Made around 1910. I searched a while but this result match inclusive service with your budget.
    Last edited by SilkeN; August 7th, 2014 at 19:53. Reason: Addition
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

The most recent one that died on me was very thin, which was nice because it slid into the fifth pocket very easily. The one I am using now, until I find a replacement, is a mostly plastic pocket watch that I got for under $10. <g> It actually runs quite well, so I am not in a hurry to make the right decision.

Cheers -

george

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information