Suggestions for a Bulova dress watch
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DON

Thread: Suggestions for a Bulova dress watch

Suggestions for a Bulova dress watch

I am searching for a Bulova watch, or another "semi precious" watch like Tavanes-Cyma (...) as a dress watch. I got a couple of tank shape Bulovas that are nice and still in a relatively good shape. Could you recommend me any dress watch that falls in the lower end of "collectibility" but still is built with certain quality? Are the Caravelles any good?

Of course everything depends on how the watch has been taken care of and if it is currently serviced... but if it comes "as is" which are the best in your opinion for a dress watch. Here some of the samples that I have.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01372.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	4.12 MB 
ID:	14856537

DON

Re: Suggestions for a Bulova dress watch

If I ever bought gold filled (rare). I always made sure the case was in clean condition. Same as the movement. Dial wasn't a priority as I always had them refinished and added new hands.

I bought to restore and sell.

My main cases were s/s as I knew I could always restore them to clean condition provided someone didn't beat the crap out of it.

Hard to tell if the dials on yours are bad or crystals are badly aged.

The old saying. Quality over quantity. Better to save and buy one nice clean watch than a number of poor ones

Don't just look at gold ones. Steel watches also make nice dress models.

Caravelle are fine. Waltham, Elgin, Gruen, Wittnauer.

As you said. Anything well taken care of is worth buying, but also make sure parts can be found if needed

DON
    newbie collector likes this.

Thread Information