Suggestions for first vintage watch
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Suggestions for first vintage watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Suggestions for first vintage watch

I am looking I to a vintage watch and need advice/suggestions.

Only really looking at two criteria:
    1. Automatic or manual wind.
    2. Trying to stay under $1000 (lil over is ok)

Your assistance is very much appreciated. Ty!

Re: Suggestions for first vintage watch

Hey dude, you'll have to be a bit more specific about what you're after to get any useful suggestions. What style of watch are you after, what sort of watches have u seen before that u like? What size were you thinking? Tell people a bit more about what you're after.
    Ben.
    Marrick likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bspargo View Post
    Hey dude, you'll have to be a bit more specific about what you're after to get any useful suggestions. What style of watch are you after, what sort of watches have u seen before that u like? What size were you thinking? Tell people a bit more about what you're after.
    Ben.
    Agreed... best you can do to start with is to browse the many threads in this forum and see what you are after..

Tony Lewis
    New Zealand

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

With the criteria you mentioned above, the better response would be what you cannot afford. Patek Phillippe, Vacheron and the sort may not fit into your budget. Almost all other watches fit under this criteria, but with exceptions and conditions.

The best thing to do is shop, shop, shop, and get an idea what you like. Asking us what to buy will net you a thousand different answers. One person might like Omegas, the next might suggest Seiko, the next maybe Timex, who knows. Only you know what you will want to spend your hard earned money on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bspargo View Post
    Ben.
    Part of why I'm posting to be exposed to more. Didn't realize it was such a difficulty since it gives so many to pick from. I didn't think it would be hard for someone to list a couple. My bad. Why doesn't an admin just delete the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Datreedude View Post
    With the criteria you mentioned above, the better response would be what you cannot afford. Patek Phillippe, Vacheron and the sort may not fit into your budget. Almost all other watches fit under this criteria, but with exceptions and conditions.

The best thing to do is shop, shop, shop, and get an idea what you like. Asking us what to buy will net you a thousand different answers. One person might like Omegas, the next might suggest Seiko, the next maybe Timex, who knows. Only you know what you will want to spend your hard earned money on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That's part of what I'm looking for to be exposed to more.

Try to post a pic what inspired you to get a vintage piece and maybe somebody could suggest a similar looking one, that should be faster and cheaper then to dive into studying watches,of course if you don't intend to.

S

Look for a Longines, Omega or Zenith: the best quality vintage swiss watches under 1000 $... you may even get one of each
    Stewpot and wrenking like this.
    Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas, praeter ...

For under $1,000 there are a lot of options. Personally I think a brilliant place to start would be the Omega Seamaster/Seamaster De Ville, especially the 1960's variants. Omega's 562 and 565 movements that they used in these watches throughout the 60's are extremely reliable, very accurate, and importantly very easily serviced by a competent watchmaker. Should anything go wrong, replacement parts for the movement are generally not hard to source.

There are a lot of options for the Seamaster too; steel case, gold case, champagne, white or black faces, no-date, date, day-date, strap, steel band. Something to suit every taste!
    wrenking likes this.

The time period you like is important and the type of watch. I like standard round and square watches from the late 1930's to the early 1960's. Others are into chronographs, diving, pilot, scratch proof, silver gold, stainless steel, plastic crystals, mineral crystals, etc etc.

My favorite brands from this period are Tissot and Longines.
    Last edited by Shum; October 6th, 2014 at 14:48.
    wrenking likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information