Suggestions for a new pocket watch? (Still vintage, just new to my collection)

Thread: Suggestions for a new pocket watch? (Still vintage, just new to my collection)

Suggestions for a new pocket watch? (Still vintage, just new to my collection)

Hey there, guys! I recently took up a summer job and have saved enough money to perhaps buy another one. Does anyone have any suggestions or personal recommendations? My price range is roughly 200-600, but I am willing to spend a little extra for a really nice one. Doesn't need to be ridiculously flashy, just reliable. However, looks certainly help. I will list the ones I currently own here:

Hamilton 992/992b
    Waltham Vanguard (1892)
    Waltham Vanguard (1908)
    Some Seth Thomas watches
    Hamilton 940
    Waltham model 1857
    Elgin Father of Time
    Longines 17 jewel
    Illinois sixty-hour Bunn Special
    Illinois 15 jewel
    Lancashire Watch Company KW/KS

I know, it's a modest collection, but I've only been collecting for two years. Anyways, I appreciate any responses that can help!

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Re: Suggestions for a new pocket watch? (Still vintage, just new to my collection)

There's lots of good potential in that range, but it's also a wide open field.

I notice that you have a pretty broad and representative range from what you list, so based on that I'd ask what are you drawn to?

Do you like railroads? If so, there are some interesting possibilities. I'm rather partial the true-bridge Illinois Sangamo Specials-I paid $600 for mine. Most of the more common 16 size Balls can be had in that range-a 19 or 21j Ball-Waltham would be very doable, and probably a 21j Hamilton-Ball.

Do you like keywinds? The Illinois Bunn and Stuart, and Elgin BW Raymond in keywind are all really nice, well finished watches that could be had in your range(although a nice Stuart might be pushing it). You might consider a Marion, a personal favorite of mine, and a nice one should be very doable in that range.

Maybe you could look into a 12-size dress watch. Something like a Waltham Riverside Maximus or a Hamilton 920 or 922 in gold filled would be within that range(you might even find one of these in gold for a little past your range). A more modest 17 or 19 jewel movement in gold could be had at the upper end of your range.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Re: Suggestions for a new pocket watch? (Still vintage, just new to my collection)

Thanks for those wonderful suggestions Ben! Sorry for the late reply, I was attending a Beach Boys concert. I'll admit that I have looked at Marions before, and they seem to run somewhere in the 800-1200 dollar range on ebay. Just out of curiosity, why do you prefer to have a Marion pocket watch? I'll probably keep a look out for Sangamo Special, and I should find one for a decent price at the Alameda County Antique Fair this weekend.

Thread Information