Sunday market again - 1971 Seiko 5
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Sunday market again - 1971 Seiko 5

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sunday market again - 1971 Seiko 5

Managed to knock the guy down to $12 for this one.

Pretty scratched up, absolutely filthy strap and muck around the lugs!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  511.3 KB

but after some chrome cleaner, soap and water, polish and elbow grease.

Views: 384
Size:  228.2 KB

Question: is this the original bracelet?

Views: 391
Size:  264.6 KB
Views: 388
Size:  310.3 KB

I have a final question: a minor issue with this watch - the stem won't seat back correctly so that the small retaining button locks it in. It worked fine before I popped it out (date, day and time setting was fine). Any ideas?
    derids, James A, busmatt and 3 others like this.

Re: Sunday market again - 1971 Seiko 5

Nice polishing work,looks great.....as to the sticking stem release button,maybe a drop a penetrating lubricant like wd 40 left to soak in for awhile,then a light tap with a screwdriver may spring it back up.

Edit:I should stress though,even a tiny drop of wd 40 will spread through the movement like wild fire,so the smallest amount possible directly on the button is the way to go.

Edit:On second thoughts,disregard the wd 40 idea,it will create more problems than you have at the moment,a very light oil like sewing machine oil might work though.

Edit:If you have a movement holder,secure the watch in that,and while working the stem in and out,tap lightly around the button,something may free up.This is the best advise i can give,but others may know a better way,cheers.
    Last edited by Apollonaught; February 15th, 2015 at 10:29.
    "There are many paths leading up the mountain,but the view from the top is the same."

Have you tried holding in the button when you insert the stem? Also try inserting the stem with the dial up and turn the crown back and forth at the same time. On some hellish movements you must reset the mechanism so you only get one chance then you have to taked the darn things apart again.
    Last edited by Shum; March 1st, 2015 at 20:11.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Shum View Post
    Have you tried holding in the button when you insert the stem? Also try inserting the stem with the dial up and turn the crown back and forth at the same time. On some hellish movements you must reset the mechanism so you only get one chance then you have to taked the darn things apart again.
    Thanks - I have tried all sorts but not the exact combo you mention so will try that tonight. I took the hands and dial off to see if there was something obvious wrong but all looked OK. I wasn't up to disassembling the calendar mechanism.

It's really frustrating as everything worked fine before I removed the movement to clean the case and I took extra care not to press the button more than enough to release the stem.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodmandod View Post
    Thanks - I have tried all sorts but not the exact combo you mention so will try that tonight. I took the hands and dial off to see if there was something obvious wrong but all looked OK. I wasn't up to disassembling the calendar mechanism.

It's really frustrating as everything worked fine before I removed the movement to clean the case and I took extra care not to press the button more than enough to release the stem.
    Sometimes it's frustrating and it's often wear of some sort that's behind the problem. The Clutch Wheel can easily get pushed slightly out of alignment and then the levers will not be in the right place. Have you greased the parts of the stem that is in contact with the clutch Wheel and levers? On one movement type I often work on the release button resets the mechanism to the setting position but because of wear one can only insert the stem once then the mechanism get out of wack.
    Last edited by Shum; March 1st, 2015 at 21:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Shum View Post
    Sometimes it's frustrating and it's often wear of some sort that's behind the problem. The Clutch Wheel can easily get pushed slightly out of alignment and then the levers will not be in the right place. Have you greased the parts of the stem that is in contact with the clutch Wheel and levers? On one movement type I often work on the release button resets the mechanism to the setting position but because of wear one can only insert the stem once then the mechanism get out of wack.
    I'll have another go tonight - I guess frustration comes with the territory! Thanks for your suggestions and I'll let you know if any of them work.
    Bodyblue likes this.

No luck. Can't get it to work. The stem just goes in and then straight out again.

You can try to use some compressed air to make the crown wheel fall in place just remember to remove the back first or the crystal will come flying off. Some have manage to make it work by inserting a thin wire or needle adjusting the crown wheel and this works best if the movement is out of the case face up. I think this can happen when the crown is in the set position when you push the release button.

What has happened is that the joke has slid out of the grove on the crown wheel and as it's connected to the setting lever the lever will not lock as it's pushed up. So you must try to bend the crown wheel forwards and doen so the joke can slip back down into the grove again so this is why the movement must come out so you get more leverage room.
    Last edited by Shum; March 2nd, 2015 at 10:32.

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Is the stem release tab still 'out' or has it gone under the rim of the bottom plate?
    If it has 'gone in', maybe a piece of wire with a tiny bend at the end will coax it back out. I have had this happen, and that was the cause and the wire trick worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    Is the stem release tab still 'out' or has it gone under the rim of the bottom plate?
    If it has 'gone in', maybe a piece of wire with a tiny bend at the end will coax it back out. I have had this happen, and that was the cause and the wire trick worked for me.
    Thank guys - couple more ideas to try tonight. The button isn't trapped though bobbee.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information