• 2 Post By busmatt
  • 2 Post By Addictedtowatches
  • 2 Post By bobbee
  • 1 Post By mkws
  • 2 Post By Shum
  • 4 Post By laikrodukas

Thread: Sunday market catch- Certina Club 2000

Sunday market catch- Certina Club 2000

So, I've been looking forward to having a Certina for some time, and just today I got lucky.
    Paid 50 bucks at a Sunday fleamarket... for this:
    Name:  IMG_3968.JPG
Views: 1126
Size:  2.00 MB
    It's a Club 2000, whatever that means. Quite a good example of a 1970s piece- the movement is a Certina 25-66M, which according to the Ranfft archive was produced between 1975 and 1977.
    Name:  IMG_3963.JPG
Views: 1088
Size:  1.69 MB
    Looks clean, keeps good time and winds really smoothly.

The watch has its original Certina bracelet, and- what is surprising for a hand-winder- the original signed crown. Dunno if you can see the latter in the pictures... Being in a very 1970s mood I've been listening to some Rolling Stones, Boston and AC/DC on my way back from the fleamarket. No nicer feeling, I'm telling you that! Sunny, hot weather, a nice vintage watch on the wrist, and good old rock on the car stereo.
    Name:  IMG_3961.jpg
Views: 1086
Size:  1.49 MB
    Name:  IMG_3958.JPG
Views: 1053
Size:  2.23 MB
    So, I'd really like to hear some thoughts about it... I think I've made a good deal. What do you guys think?

OK, so a few more pictures, and I'm back to enjoying it!
    Name:  IMG_3960.jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  2.51 MB
    Name:  IMG_3965.JPG
Views: 1046
Size:  1,020.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_3959.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  2.61 MB
    Name:  IMG_3955.jpg
Views: 1045
Size:  2.64 MB

Cheers,

MK
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Re: Sunday market catch- Certina Club 2000

Hey nice find with the Certina, lookin' good

Hope you were playing those tunes on an 8 track
    mkws likes this.
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum while waiting for Horace Goes Skiing to load

Looks like you found yourself a good one. Club 2000 were Certinas low end brand in the 70's but yours is a stainless steel model so that puts it at the top just under the automatics. The 25-66 was the most common movement they made in the 60's and 70's and sure is the nicest in my book and is also the base for the 25-651 automatic found in the DS-2 line.

This model shows up in 1976 adverts so they must have started to make it in late 1975.
    Last edited by Shum; June 7th, 2015 at 14:21.
    bobbee, busmatt and mkws like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Looks nice, I had one exactly like it in my hand a few weeks ago, but the crystal was cracked, and the dial was damaged (And not in a charming way, looked like water to me) it was too expensive for the condition it was in so i passed on it. It didn't have the original strap either.
    mkws likes this.

Nice find, I must try and get to some car boots soon.

Matt
    Shum and mkws like this.
    " I can't wear this uniform, without some compromises "
    Chesney Hawkes

"I larf, I Larf, I wee I pants, I make I leg go rusty."
    ​Me

Awesome watch, I love that band!
    busmatt and mkws like this.
    --Charlie

-Citizen -Seiko -Heuer -Steinhart -Bulova -TagHeuer

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Good looking piece, great to find with all the original bits and bobs.
    Score!
    busmatt and mkws like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shum View Post
    Looks like you found yourself a good one. Club 2000 were Certinas low end brand in the 70's but yours is a stainless steel model so that puts it at the top just under the automatics. The 25-66 was the most common movement they made in the 60's and 70's and sure is the nicest in my book and is also the base for the 25-651 automatic found in the DS-2 line.

This model shows up in 1976 adverts so they must have started to make it in late 1975.
    I have looked up a 1976 Certina catalogue, and apparently I've found a date version of the very same watch. Do you perhaps have one of these adverts? I'd sure like to see it! So far, I couldn't find any old advertisement for any of my watches...
    By the way, I have a few questions about the movement- how reliable is it? Are there any known issues I can possibly expect when I will be having it serviced? Availability of spare parts?
    I'm asking these, because I intend to wear it often- it's a casual-looking vintage piece, and until now my small collection lacked something of this sort.

Thanks to you all! Yes, the original crown (surprisingly, doesn't look worn) and bracelet are definitely a nice thing to have. Although I am not really fond of bracelets, I think I can make an exception for this one- it looks good, and is quite comfortable.

Hmmm... Now I have a dilemma. What should I get next? A third Zenith, another Tissot, or a second Certina? 'Cause I feel like I should start hunting for a DS...
    Last edited by mkws; June 7th, 2015 at 23:53.
    busmatt likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    I have looked up a 1976 Certina catalogue, and apparently I've found a date version of the very same watch. Do you perhaps have one of these adverts? I'd sure like to see it! So far, I couldn't find any old advertisement for any of my watches...
    By the way, I have a few questions about the movement- how reliable is it? Are there any known issues I can possibly expect when I will be having it serviced? Availability of spare parts?
    I'm asking these, because I intend to wear it often- it's a casual-looking vintage piece, and until now my small collection lacked something of this sort.

Thanks to you all! Yes, the original crown (surprisingly, doesn't look worn) and bracelet are definitely a nice thing to have. Although I am not really fond of bracelets, I think I can make an exception for this one- it looks good, and is quite comfortable.

Hmmm... Now I have a dilemma. What should I get next? A third Zenith, another Tissot, or a second Certina? 'Cause I feel like I should start hunting for a DS...
    If you look at the case number it's the same as on your watch and this is the important thing and the only thing that is different is that the date version has the Certina 25-661 movement. Now the 25-661 is much less common so it's better to have the 25-66 even though they are much the same and it's plentiful, and there are enough spare parts for many years to come as a lot of gold watches had this movement and have been scraped and I have over 10 movements (need to count them ).

So if you are in need of a movement or parts just send me a PM.

The next step is to get a Certina with a 25-651 movement but that will cost you a bit more. The 1977 Blue Ribbons are very nice with the Volvo case back.
    mkws and busmatt like this.

Nice overall set: ss, dial and a bracelet too :)
    Have one too, runs on 25-02(ETA 2750) at 21600

busmatt, mkws, Shum and 1 others like this.
    Chaos is my focus

Thread Information