A super-unusual military Hamilton!
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: A super-unusual military Hamilton!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A super-unusual military Hamilton!

Good morning! I stopped by antique stores yesterday morning on my way to a family reunion mostly without success.

At this particular one I got the usual response of no old watches. But, he said 'well wait a minute' went thru a couple drawers in his desk, 'this has a clock on it', and showed me what he dug up.

I consider myself pretty familiar with military watches, but at first glance I had no idea what the heck it was. I recognized it as being military, but had never seen one before. I asked him what he wanted for it and he said $40. I told him I'd take it, and had my wife try to look it up by the numbers on the rest of our drive.

The tag reads:

Watch Housing Assembly
    Pt. No. 39360-2-01,
    Stk No. 6400-192855,
    Mfg. By Hamilton Watch Co. for:
    Edgerton, Germeshausen & Grier, Inc.

The best info I've actually found for it is here: http://www.timelyclassics.com/portal...roduct_id=1237

They ID it as a periscope camera timer for a nuclear submarine. Very cool in my book. (The price seems on the crazy end to me, for sure.)

Also interesting, apparently Hamilton didn't put serial #'s on the 735a movements in these, and case serial #'s range from around 1000 to around 3000. 2000 total pieces maybe?

I haven't been able to find any pictures of how they would be mounted or used, or any contract papers or information.

Please throw out any thoughts, comments ideas for research, etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images

busmatt and Addictedtowatches like this.

Re: A super-unusual military Hamilton!

Pretty cool and uber unusual. The people at that Timely Classics site appear to have had a source, you could try asking them for more info. Many subs are built at Electric Boat in Groton CT, most companies have a person in charge of corporate archives, you could track them down and ask.
    Tremec likes this.
    We may be lost but we're making good time.

I'll try to contact them, hopefully they'll be able to shed some light.

I talked to my father-in-law this afternoon. He was a Marine aboard the USS Hunley in the early 70's. It was a submarine tender, so he had some personal experience with nuclear subs. He said something that I hadn't considered.

Contract information and such may still be classified and due to the fact that the periscope is in the control room, there most likely aren't pictures available.

A sailor was recently (within the last few years) locked up for taking a selfie aboard and sending it to his mom and dad. And that wasn't in the control room.

With that said, I'd still love to hear everyone's thoughts on this unique timepiece.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I opened it up last night and took a few pics. It has the expected 735A movement, a nice looking movement at that.

I saw a German WW2 watch set up that hook up to a camera for photo reconnaissance for sale at the MWR forum. This watch looks similar maybe it's the US Air Force version. I guess it would time stamp the film when a photo was taken just a wild guess. Cool watch I collect mainly military timepieces of any kind I think this is cool. And cool water proof crown set up just like what on UDT dive watches of WW2.

Knew it was for a recon camera but for a submarine periscope you learn some thing every day.
    Hamilton Time Stamp Submarine Periscope Camera
    badbackdan and busmatt like this.

Thanks riverrat, I have a penchant for military watches also. They seem to carry a little extra character somehow.

The link you came across is the only info I've really been able to find so far on this one.

Nice!!!

I love military watches and clocks. I have a few Hamilton GG-W-113 watches and a 1950's issued Elgin

I also have a Hamilton Model 23 that was used with a sextet type thing for bombing runs in WWII.

In the early 1970's my father was working with GSA and they were throwing away a lot of old items from the 1940's and 1950's because they were tearing down the building. In one box was a old NOS never used Hamilton Model 22 Ship's clock. He was given written permission to take it as it was just going to be trashed and it has been with him ever since. A few years later he had a wood working guy make a sort of holder to sit the clock so as to make it a desk clock.

This particular clock was for a gimbal case (a wooden box that the clock sat in on a ship)

I hope you will service your clock

busmatt and VCT like this.

I've struggled a little on the clock/watch designation on this one.

I personally lean clock due to its function, however, the ID plate states clearly the aluminum housing is a watch assembly. Just another weird thing only people with our affliction would struggle with. Lol

I've aquired the tools, and ability to generally service my own watches, so if I plan to run it I'll do a clean and oil on it.

This piece helps to fill out an unintentional Hamilton military collection. I now have a WWII ORD wristwatch, a 4992B pocket watch, a model 22 ship's chronometer, a GG-W-114 wristwatch, along with this one.

There's quite a bit more Hamilton military pieces, but I haven't been seeking them out. I may have to start....

busmatt likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information