In Surprise Ruling, COMCO Halts Swatch Group Escapement Cuts - Page 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: In Surprise Ruling, COMCO Halts Swatch Group Escapement Cuts

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: In Surprise Ruling, COMCO Halts Swatch Group Escapement Cuts

Sorry
    I had to add to above
    "I am not sure where you are getting your economic history but automobile and semiconductor industries in America "

Semiconductor I answered

CAR?
    Yes GM, Ford others
    They REALLY have had no issues in past 10 yrs
    REALLY??
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    and you think Hayek Snr (the unbelievable savior of the Swiss watch industry - after saving it - would he destroy it?) and his son, not understand "the business of buliding watches"
    nope - they know more than we can ever surmise
    A
    What are you talking about? My comment was in response to Tick Talk's comment about the politics of watchmaking being interesting. Hayak isn't a "savior", he's a business man who help steer his industry through a difficult time. The success of his direction doesn't imply that it was the ONLY way the industry could have survived, or even that it was the BEST way. It's just what happened to work. The watch industry is rather infamous for demonstrating that past success is no guarantee of future success, however.
    Ben_hutcherson likes this.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    What are you talking about? My comment was in response to Tick Talk's comment about the politics of watchmaking being interesting. Hayak isn't a "savior", he's a business man who help steer his industry through a difficult time. The success of his direction doesn't imply that it was the ONLY way the industry could have survived, or even that it was the BEST way. It's just what happened to work. The watch industry is rather infamous for demonstrating that past success is no guarantee of future success, however.

Yes you are right (as always)
    Hayek (Snr) was NEVER a savior of the Swiss Watch Industry
    Everyone knows this but me

Hayek - The destroyer of the Swiss industry

You should add what you post is YOUR opinion not what is accepted and recognized
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    Adam

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    What are you talking about?.
    Please do not use statements like this
    It implies others are 'stupid'
    Which a am NOT
    Ask.debate politely/

and
    Adam

Yes you are right (as always)
    Hayek (Snr) was NEVER a savior of the Swiss Watch Industry
    Everyone knows this but me

Hayek - The destroyer of the Swiss industry

You should add what you post is YOUR opinion not what is accepted and recognized
    Just because I don't 100% agree with your opinion doesn't mean that I 100% DIS-agree with it. The real world has shades of grey that you seem unable or unwilling to acknowledge. Never mind the fact that I was NEVER talking about Hayek in the first place. You create a straw man out of the depths of your own insecurity, and relentlessly beat it in front of everyone. I don't need to say that my opinion are my opinion because of COURSE they're my opinions! And I don't mind if you want to disagree with them. But don't ascribe to me opinions that I haven't stated and then berate me for them; that just makes you look like an idiot.
    Ben_hutcherson likes this.

I can see it from both sides, it would be a shame to see some small watch manufacturer using an eta movement and then suddenly have it taken away from them. But if swatch as made this decision then why not they own the company and are looking at their own, and dont forget how Rolex runs the parts supply (they dont). In the end it might bring out some great new movements by others instead of them relying on the swatch group.

Quote Originally Posted by Tick Talk View Post
    A totally predictable, completely conservative, utterly Swiss decision Thanks for sharing this latest news Adam; the politics of watches are nearly as interesting as the watches themselves!
    Indeed.

Nice to see someone standing up to that ridiculous monopoly that should have been broken up years ago.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

It would have been broken many many years ago if it wasnt for the swatch group, most makers wouldnt have survived without the swatch group so give them some credit.

Please do not use statements like this
    It implies others are 'stupid'
    Which a am NOT
    Ask.debate politely/
    Once again, you berate others for how you choose to interpret their words. Our ability to debate politely is strongly dependent on you not taking offense when other people disagree with you.

I politely asked "what are you talking about" because you started talking about Hayek in response to a post that had NOTHING to do with him or his decisions. I suppose you COULD have concluded that Tick Talk's comment about Swiss conservatism was an indirect criticism of Hayek's decisions, and that my response to him was suggesting that Hayek didn't understand the business of making watches, but that could ONLY happen if the person reading the threads was making a deliberate and conscious effort to find something to disagree with. You weren't doing that, were you?

Hi there,

it is pretty useless to discuss Hayek's role as savior. His formula was simple: Grab enough together to become independent from any (weak) competitor, no need to dispute activities with anyone though. Today we can't know whether he was visionary or just lucky (I suspect a mix of both).

Of course this industry was on a lethal way, hurry was indicated, and doing nothing definitely could not help. But maybe a completely different approach would have been as succesfull, or even better - we can't know because it wasn't done.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information