Suspect a cheap knock off movement replaced in vintage Rado - Page 2
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Suspect a cheap knock off movement replaced in vintage Rado

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Suspect a cheap knock off movement replaced in vintage Rado

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Possibly because for a watchmaker to "find" a junk movement and then turn around and sell it to a customer means spending the time and effort to A) find the right movement B) do a complete COA on the movement to make sure it actually works (since if it dies two months later, guess who's coming to dinner?) and C) repeat steps A and B should the movement turn out to be unsuitable. Collectors like you and I can do this because it's just our spare time hobby. Someone trying to make a living as a watchmaker has to have different standards. This is why you almost need to make a clear distinction between watchmakers who work on "vintage" watches and watchmakers who work on "modern" watches.

A good approach these days is to source your own "junk" movement and present it to the watchmaker when you bring your watch in.
    Point taken.

I do question taking on a job like this if you lack the movement though.

I think asking him to open it up and show you the movement would not be an unreasonable request. You could also take some macro pics.

Kind regards

Aditya

Rado was huge in the Japanese market for many years, so to have a Japanese language date wheel might be correct for that watch.

However, without pictures of the movement, the rest of this thread is speculation.

You need to take it back to the watchmaker for an unveiling. If he is long distance, get his consent to have an independent jeweler look at it and bring your camera.
    gatorcpa

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Update: He said he replaced it with an ETA 2836-2. He said he would never use a Chinese knock off. He offered to open it up for me when I bring it in. How will I be able to tell if it is a clone-is this easy to spot? If it is a clone will it say SWISS MADE? Also, He said ETA makes three kinds of international day/date combos, one being Chinese/English. Does anyone know if this is true? I can't find anything about that in my research so far. I asked if he had a choice in putting in Chinese/English or Spanish/English (as was in there before) he said no...
    Tomcat1960 likes this.

Just thought about the logo. Does it spin? If it does it would not be so easy to put a clone. You need to have the rattling issue looked at anyways (for $400, I certainly would). When you do just take some pictures of the movement.

Just my opinion, $380 seems high just to have the movement replace....
    Bond ... James Bond

Quote Originally Posted by scottjc View Post
    Rado only used A Schild or ETA movements so anything else does not belong in that case. Ask him to name the movement he replaced yours with and, if necessary, to open the case and show you the movement with the correct markings as proof.
    ETA movements are common and relatively easy to work on for a reasonably skilled watchmaker so I think you have reason to expect genuine parts for the price you were charged.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk
    First and only relevant reply
    I suggest you follow this.
    scottjc likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Well, op did already follow the advice given.

Regards,
    Tomcat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

Quote Originally Posted by Idamae View Post
    Update: He said he replaced it with an ETA 2836-2. He said he would never use a Chinese knock off. He offered to open it up for me when I bring it in. How will I be able to tell if it is a clone-is this easy to spot? If it is a clone will it say SWISS MADE? Also, He said ETA makes three kinds of international day/date combos, one being Chinese/English. Does anyone know if this is true? I can't find anything about that in my research so far. I asked if he had a choice in putting in Chinese/English or Spanish/English (as was in there before) he said no...
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f72/how...ok-216945.html

Last edited by Triton9; August 3rd, 2014 at 08:11.
    " A great time piece on your wrist show you are serious of time "

Look carefully at the balance spring jewel shape. Even you do see the ETA logo stamp on the plate, the logo can be fake but very rare case, the balance spring jewel will be fake.
    " A great time piece on your wrist show you are serious of time "

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information