Swiss Colgor

Thread: Swiss Colgor

Swiss Colgor

Does any one have any information on Colgor Swiss watches? I just picked up this one on the Bay.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Re: Swiss Colgor

Quote Originally Posted by sbyrd68 View Post
    Does any one have any information on Colgor Swiss watches? I just picked up this one on the Bay.
    All that Google can offer is that Colgor was the brand of Colgor Watches owned by Robert Brandt.

Most likely this was one of the minor Swiss watch assemblers in its day (1960s or thereabout). A photo of the caseback (inside and out) and movement may yield a few clues, but I suspect that most of the parts used are generic. That's typical of the majority of Swiss watches, and not necessarily a bad thing.

Here are a few more pictures from the seller. I will have to wait for it to come in before I can take some pictures. The seller stated it is a recently serviced manual wind 17 jewel with a stainless steel back and water resistant. Sixteen dollars shipped did not seem to bad.

Thanks,
    SB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Style of hands is very forties/early fifties - which contradicts the jewel count of 17 a little (usually 15 at that time - centre wheel wasn't jewelled). It may therefore not be 100% original but put together from parts (i.e. at least the hands may have been replaced).

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Style of hands is very forties/early fifties - which contradicts the jewel count of 17 a little (usually 15 at that time - centre wheel wasn't jewelled). It may therefore not be 100% original but put together from parts (i.e. at least the hands may have been replaced).

Hartmut Richter
    You may be correct the seller said this watch came from an assortment of materials bought from a retired watch maker.

-SB

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post

Hartmut Richter
    Another question if you do not mind. If the hands are not period, how much would the average cost in the US be to replace the hands? I was thinking of ones like the Colgor picture below. As an interesting note, in doing some Google, I came apon a reference to a Colombo & Guenin Colgor Watch Company, Bienne, Switzerland in The United States Horological Trademark Index. The trademark was in use starting August 25, 1924 for watches and parts of watches.

I am in Europe and wouldn't know about US prices. The seller quite openly admits it's a "mariage" which technically lowers the collectibility but, with all due respect, it's not a valuable watch from a renowned maker anyway. I would think that it will be very easy and cheap to have the hands changed if you are willing to accept new hands. If you want old hands of the same period, finding some that look good and fit is your main problem. Doing the change-over is again less problematic.

Hartmut Richter

Can anyone tell me anything about this watch? I found it at an antique store and I would love to know more about it. On the front it looks like it says "Colgor" and "17 rubis" and the back says "LUNETTE PLAQUE OR LAMINE 20 MICRONS" and "FOND ACIER INOXYDABLE 4013589"

Welcome to Watchuseek. I think that we can't say very much about that wacth except that

1. it was evidently made by the same maker as that in the original post

2. it is a ladies' watch

3. going by the overall style (particularly the lugs), it may well be 1950s but the style on ladies' watches followed somewhat different trends than those for the gents so we can't be sure. The "17 RUBIS" points to mid fifties onwards.

A movement picture would help but for that, the watch would have to be opened up. If you can't do that without damaging the watch, it is probably not worth it.

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information