Swiss Made; Switzerland; Swiss; Swiss T Made - what do they mean?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By AbslomRob
  • 2 Post By Border-Reiver

Thread: Swiss Made; Switzerland; Swiss; Swiss T Made - what do they mean?

Swiss Made; Switzerland; Swiss; Swiss T Made - what do they mean?

Hi there, as per the title, I am wondering if anyone could shed some light to the mentioned issue. Googling the issue brought up mostly posts that were about rolexes and could not find any general references.

Thank you.

Re: Swiss Made; Switzerland; Swiss; Swiss T Made - what do they mean?

"T" on the dial stands for Tritium, the lume used on the dial.

See......https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/trit...st-535726.html
    https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/westfield-watch-company.109201/

A friend is truly a prize indeed, others not so much. So if I lead you believe you're in the latter, please read........
    http://markmanson.net/internet

Quote Originally Posted by hicanon View Post
    Hi there, as per the title, I am wondering if anyone could shed some light to the mentioned issue. Googling the issue brought up mostly posts that were about rolexes and could not find any general references.
    They mean different things at different points in time and in different countries. Originally, the requirement to specify the country of origin on the dial was mostly a US import law enacted in 1909. Prior to that, I believe that the U.K. required country markings on the movement, but not on the dial.

The phrasing of "Swiss Made" vs. "Switzerland", shows up mostly in cases where I believe the movement and dial were shipped "uncased"; back when Rolex and Gruen were selling the same movements (like the Quadron), you'll find that the Gruens (which were cased in the US) say "Switzerland" while the Rolexs say "Swiss Made". Likewise, I have a number of Eaton Solar and Superva watches that say "Switzerland", and they all came in cases that were not Swiss Made.

But as I said, the laws of different countries influences this. The UK enacted their own "foreign label" requirements for the dial (not sure when), for example.

It was only much later that the "Swiss Made" label became a badge of "quality". The irony here is that the main reason for all those foreign label laws in the first place was because of the flood of cheap swiss made knock-offs pretending to be higher-quality American/British watches.
    yvrclimber and hicanon like this.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

What concerns radium etc. in the luminous paint, Ra Swiss Made Ra means radium, T Swiss Made T tritium and just Swiss Made either no such material (no luminous paint at all at hands or dial) or the watch was made when new and safer materials have been used. Often a good hint when dating a watch. But, as mentioned before, this is no strict rule.

What concerns Swiss Made, things have changed much lately. Only a certain value of the watch has to be related to Switzerland, like parts and/or assembly and/or movement and/or case and/or assembly and/or adjustment etc. There are opinions which came up in recent days that a watch could also me called Swiss, even if nothing of the above applies. If Swiss companies outsource everything, the watch is still Swiss if it represents something which would remind you of Switzerland and Swiss watchmaking (no joke!), like you can call someone a cowboy, even in Russia.
    eri231 and hicanon like this.

Here you go - Best - adam

•LUMINOSITY:–1913 to 1968s - Radium
    –1968s to 1998 - Tritium (note watches using this now are marked 'T25' or 'T<25'.
    Luminova-1998
    1998 – Luminova or Super Luminova – Not Radioactive.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Swiss Made is an indication that an item was made in Switzerland. Switzerland, that's a country in Europe. (the) Swiss inhabit that small land locked country. Swiss T Made, I think that's a machine that wakes you up with a cup of tea?

Thread Information