swiss manufacturer 'modish' ?

Thread: swiss manufacturer 'modish' ?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question swiss manufacturer 'modish' ?

I have an old, apparently ladies, wristwatch that has been in the family as an 'heirloom', we believe it to be around 100 years old.

the face of it has 'swiss' at the top and bottom just edging under the rim of the glass. above the hands in the center is what we believe is the manufacturer's name, 'modish'.

I have searched all thru many websites and cannot find that brand listed.
    have you knowledge of the brand? if not, is there some source you may know of that might list it, better than just web searching?

i looked at the list of known manufacturers off the home page here and did not see it.

the word 'modish' seems to be in vogue as a description of current modern styling I guess and it messes with the searches.

any ideas on how to track down info on this manufacturer and its watches greatly appreciated.

thanks.

jim

Re: swiss manufacturer 'modish' ?

Pics would help a lot... especially pics of the insides of the watch.

Many Swiss watches were generically made and then 'customized' for various markets or vendors. It is likely yours is such a watch. If it is, tracing it's history would be difficult.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

i could shoot some pics of the face, not sure how to open the case as i am not familiar w/ watches other than to wear them :) should i take it to a jeweler to get opened? what specifically would i be looking to have the pictures focus on to help identify it? thanks. jim

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Start with some pics of the dial and case. We might be able to tell you how to open the case from there. It it's 100 years old it's probably a screw back case. Not many wristwatches are that old though.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

ill see if i can get some 'macros' of it

took the pics, but darned if i can figure how to post them for viewing. when i click the icon for adding an image it wants a URL to reference. dont have a website. do i need to post them to one of the picture sites, then put the URLS here. have 4 .jpgs totaling about 5 meg. thanks. jim

Make sure the files are not too large then attach them using the "Manage Attachments" button you'll find in the Advanced section of the posting window.
    Attached Images Attached Images

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Question Re: swiss manufacturer 'modish' ?

4 pics attached.

Modish1, shooting down on face, shows manufacturer? name, faintly top and bottome say 'swiss'
    Overallsize, on a ruler showing centimeters.
    Sideview, explanatory.
    Backview, ditto.

the metal 'v' at the bottom to attach a wristband is visisbly soldered on.
    the minute hand has come loose. it seems like the back may screw off, but if so, is on very tightly. probably need some mechanical force-multipliers to get it off.

thanks for any help, ideas. jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'd guess around 1920 but I haven't seen this brand before. Would still like to see the movement to be sure. Looks like a screw back to me.

ill see if i can find a jeweler to open it up for me. thanks. jim

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information