The Swiss in New York World's Fair 1939 & Vintage COSC
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: The Swiss in New York World's Fair 1939 & Vintage COSC

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The Swiss in New York World's Fair 1939 & Vintage COSC

1946 COSCish formulas in 9th post

Attachment 1009140

Found a booklet from 1940 reporting New York World's Fair, just before Glycine's acquirement by ASUAG, thought I share here. The New York Fair was a futurist exhibition with the motto : 'Building the Future ' in 1939.

However the booklet is published in Switzerland as seen below in La Chaux de Fonds in 1940. It mentions different brands but I copy here only Glycine related paragraphs. Interesting is how they test the timepieces' shock resistance, water-proofness and anti - magnetic specs by undergoing some brutal!!! tests like banging,holding to magnets and miniature submariners carrying watches in water...

La Chaux-de-fonds, Jeudi 31 Octobre 1940. Printed in Switzerland Cinquante-cinquième Année. — N° 44 ORGANE

NEW YORK WORLD'S FAIR 1940

The novelty watches illustrate the multiple uses in connection with personal jewelry of small Swiss watches, characteristic of the ability of Swiss designers to keep up with the ever-changing demands of fashion. Pendants, ring watches,and unusual metal bracelets watches by Invicta- Seeland; a gold golf watch by Mido as well as a unique waterproof diamond ring watch; a self-winding purse watch by Eterna; interesting fob watches by Nicolet and Wyler are shown, as well as a fountain pen watch by Glycine.

Men, of course — young or old — are attracted by the waterproof Watches and the stopwatches. Every modern type of waterproof,shockresisting, non-magnetic, and in some cases self-winding wrist watches is shown in this group.Some of the waterproof watches are remarkably thin, for example the Movado and Eterna models,or very small or even jeweled outside, like the complete selection of Mido. Eterna, Glycine,Mido and Wyler show the self-winding models.

Through lighted apertures in the black glass panel running the whole length of the back wall can be seen demonstrators, electrically operated,
    which give concrete examples of the hardships which waterproof watches can endure with impunity.The Mido Multifort, for example, is first held before a magnet, then dropped with a bang on a metal plate before taking a cooling dip in a water-filled container. There is also a moving hand holding a watch indicating the self-winding feature of the Mido watch. The Glycine self-winding also undergoes the same ordeal without harm, as it falls on a miniature anvil, and there are two toy submarines carrying watches, slowly revolving under water.

And the Glycine Ad in the same booklet:

Other participants from the Swiss Watchmaking industry.

Attachment 1009983

Looks like it was pretty diversified and tough to be in the market in that time....
    Last edited by Emre; March 16th, 2013 at 02:02.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Re: The Swiss in New York World's Fair 1939

Very nice

I'd appreciate seeing anything about Meyer & Studeli, if you'd be so kind.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    Very nice

I'd appreciate seeing anything about Meyer & Studeli, if you'd be so kind.

Thanks
    Kindness and me:) Sure, love to share this passion. Here is what I've found from Meyer Studeli by scanning the booklet, sorry no pictures from MS:

Tavannes have interesting rectangular waterproof
    models in gold; while Cortebert, Meyer
    Studeli
    and Langendorf also have waterproof
    models in steel of the same shape. In spite of
    their more utilitarian purposes, these waterproof
    models are also graceful and the latest ones
    show a clever combination of the serviceable
    with the good looking.

In the modern watches, the variety of design
    and flawless execution rouse admiring comments
    from visitors. They are interested, too, in popular-
    priced watches, which are well reprenseted
    by the firms Meyer Studeli, Schlup, and Langendorf,
    whose movements, named respectively
    Roamer, Rado and Lonville, are well known and
    appreciated in this country.

Also another interesting paragraph for the highlights:

The finest specimen of gentlemen's watches with thin or complicated movements are represented in the showcase for high accuracy watches, where the names of Patek Philippe, Ulysse Nardin, Audemars - Piguet, Vacheron Constantin, Omega, Le Coultre and Jules Jurgensen compose the aristocracy of quality in Swiss Watchmaking.

A gold tourbillon escapement pocket watch, with first prize from the Geneva Observatory, made by Patek Philippe,offers a special treat to every horologist, as he alone really understands what efforts and skill go into the execution of a masterpiece of this kind.

The same remark applies to the five «record» watches separately displayed under the glass in
    the center of the hall:

The most complicated watch, by Patek Philippe, even goes the tourbillon one better, although it only has an anchor escapement, but it is a minute repeater, split-second chronograph, perpetual calender with moon phases, and shows sidereal time, time of sunrise, and sunset, the constellations and is also a clock watch.

Next to it is the most accurate watch ever tested at the English Observatory of Kew Teddington, where it obtained 97.8, 100. being the unattainable perfection. This movement was made by Omega.

The thinnest watch is displayed next to a silver dollar which appears much thicker in contrast; this watch comes from the exclusive shops of Audemars-Piguet; while the smallest watch, by Le Coultre, is so minute that visitors sometimes must be shown just the spot where it is inserted in a transparent glass support.
    Last edited by Emre; March 15th, 2013 at 14:39.
    Mirius, nsmike and mike184 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I love the view you get from old literature.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Ah now you have piqued my interest. A rectangular waterproof case - and by the sound of it all four companies using the same one. I wonder what it looked like?

Quote Originally Posted by Emre View Post
    Kindness and me:) Sure, love to share this passion. Here is what I've found from Meyer Studeli by scanning the booklet, sorry no pictures from MS:

Tavannes have interesting rectangular waterproof
    models in gold
    ; .....
    ...and in Stainless Steel

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    Ah now you have piqued my interest. A rectangular waterproof case - and by the sound of it all four companies using the same one. I wonder what it looked like?

Thanks I did wonder - it is much the same, or the same as the Eterna one that Sparcster posted recently which I think Eterna dated to 1942. Now I need to keep my eyes open for a M&ST one!

Edit: No, not the same but the same principle as he linked to in his earlier thread for the round cased 1938 Eterna.
    Last edited by Mirius; March 15th, 2013 at 17:04.

Very cool. The described complicated Patek seems unreal....

Man thats fun, never saw this before:

May 1946 Le Chaux de Fonds, La Federation Horlogere Suisse Official Organ, Breitling Ad

Attachment 1009724

And these are the vintage kind of COSC formulas:

Attachment 1010002
    Last edited by Emre; March 16th, 2013 at 12:18.
    Tick Talk likes this.

Hi Emre!

Thanx a lot for posting the info of that booklet about the New York World Fair 1939!
    It´s great info for me filling another empty room in the history of Schlup & Co/Rado.
    Any other info about Schlup & Co/Rado, maybe even an ad in this booklet would be very much appreciated.
    Best regards, Mike

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information