Swiss Tressa: Which are real and which are fake??
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Swiss Tressa: Which are real and which are fake??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hey everyone, i recently found out about Tressa, a small swiss watch manufacturing company that only last for a decade and was later bought by Rado during the "Quartz-crises". So i stumpled upon a couple of auction on the bay and on german auction forums of this stunning Tressa Lux Crystal model, i was hooked! They were selling these Tressas for around 100$, most of them never worn. Thinking this is to good to be true I instantly did a thorough Google search of the brand, the watch and how to distinguish a fake. Unfortunately i couldn't find a lot of information, but someone on WUS posted these two images of their Tressa:

Name:  tressa_1_wrist.jpg
Views: 2318
Size:  133.3 KBName:  tressa_caseback_1.jpg
Views: 2311
Size:  183.3 KB

And on the german website i found these two images:
    Name:  tressa 001.jpg
Views: 2291
Size:  106.0 KBName:  tressa 004.jpg
Views: 2349
Size:  138.6 KB

I believe these two watches are authentic since the finish on the dial and caseback are very nice. The overall finish sort of gives off that "swiss-made" feel.

Some other website (a spanish one i think...?) had a gallery of these 70's Tressa, the gallery had a huge collection of these Tressa Lux Crystals but some of the versions just seemed to cheap-looking to be a swiss-watch. I didnt have a lot of confidence in what the poster wrote either so i deemed the post unreliable. Here is the link if you want to check it out / verify if its legit or if its makreting fakes:
    https://70swatchesgallery.wordpress....26/tressa-lux/

Now the watch i found most interesting was this one below:
    Name:  208052948_368e2437-3603-4f95-8ca7-449411f6f2e6.jpg
Views: 2300
Size:  72.1 KBName:  208052948_b7baa9be-ff97-40e5-9251-53542c413059.jpg
Views: 2270
Size:  75.5 KB

So what do you say? Does this watch seem fake or is it legit? Do you have any knowledge about Tressa that you can share?
    Im not really interested in buying a fake watch and i love the dial on this perticuliar Lux Crystal!
    Pedro Pereira and josjevee like this.

I bought a nice Tressa chronograph a while ago, believe it has a vintage Valjoux movement. It's been serviced at the moment. I'll post a photo when it comes back..

Re: Swiss Tressa: Which are real and which are fake??

It is exceedingly unlikely that anyone would go to the trouble of faking such inexpensive watches.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Some of the Tressa models are really special and brought us bling in the 70's. Not that many other brands went over board like them exept maybe Sicura and Orient. They were actually around from 1966 to 1986 but how many watches they sold in their later years I don't know but not that many. They did have signed backs and crown like the better brands but they didn't sign the movements so if one finds an old broken Tressa a new movemnet isn't a problem to source and they used most of the generic brands like Unitas, AS, FHF and ETA.
    Pedro Pereira likes this.

The chance of either being fake is very small, especially with a Arabic Day/Date.
    It kind of limits the counterfeit market.

So enjoy and welcome to WUS
    adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

All legit ..welcome Mr Saturday night fever . There only excist replicas of the spaceman.

Kind regards Silke
    bobbee likes this.
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

Thanks for all the great replies everyone! If i win the auction ill make sure to post pics if people are interested ;) As for as i know the watch has a AS-5206 movement in it, any insight on the quality of this movement? Can i compare this movement to some other moevement? If it breaks are the parts easily replaceable? :)

There's running this story of a forlorn crate full of new Tressas sitting in a Lebanese warehouse since the late 70s. Apparently a Swiss businessman discovered this crate and bought it. Since then he releases them in small quantities, in order to get a decent amount per piece

I've got a more decent one in NOS condition of which I'll post an image tomorrow The seller assured me there were lots more.

Edit: here it is:

As for the quality of the movement, AS knew their trade. And it's the only movement I'm aware of with three (!) calendar languages. (Mine has Arabic and Farsi, if I'm correct.)

Regards,
    Tomcat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tomcat1960; May 25th, 2015 at 17:08.
    bobbee, Pedro Pereira and busmatt like this.
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

Hi Silke,

Quote Originally Posted by SilkeN View Post
    There only excist replicas of the spaceman.
    These are no replica, but simply old stock. The brand Tressa belonged to Zeno Watch Basel since the seventies, and they used it for these funky automatics for the Near East market, and for their Spaceman models. Between ca. 2000 and 2005 they cleared their old stock, and as I was Zeno dealer back then, I sold many of this old stuff with AS 520X movements, mainly models like these:

But they also created new budget models to make use of their overstock of AS movements like these:

These are all sold out since long - no hidden advertizing though. But if special parts are needed, especially for the Spaceman watches, one can still get them from Zeno.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Attached Images Attached Images

THank you Roland . This make sence.

Silke
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information