symbol on movement??

Thread: symbol on movement??

symbol on movement??

hey all the first watch is a tradition but on the inside it has a familiar symbol i have seen on some of my other watches is it a swiss marking for parts??? the second watch is a wittnaeur looks to be from the 60s ??? when did longines and wittnuaer merge i have some that say wittnaeur longines??? any info would be great
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Re: symbol on movement??

Quote Originally Posted by osiris View Post
    hey all the first watch is a tradition but on the inside it has a familiar symbol i have seen on some of my other watches is it a swiss marking for parts???
    I'm not familiar with that symbol, however the ebauche originated from Schild (look for the small crest signed 'AS' under the balance wheel). Possibly that symbol is for Tradition or else a third part who finished the movement for Tradition. What other brands do you have with that same symbol?

Haven't seen that symbol before.

The movement is a Standard 1686 http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...&Standard_1686

I can't remember if Longines owned Wittnauer for a while or if Longines-Wittnaeur was simply the US company that imported the 2 brands

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wittnauer were the US importer for Longines. They never owned them or vice versa.

Here in the UK Baume were the Longines agent and you can find Longines casebacks with Baume inside
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website
    http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052/index.htm

Wittnauer is presently a Bulova brand. Here's a history of the company.
    http://www.bulova.com/about/Wittnauer_history.aspx

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by osiris View Post
    hey all the first watch is a tradition but on the inside it has a familiar symbol i have seen on some of my other watches is it a swiss marking for parts??? the second watch is a wittnaeur looks to be from the 60s ??? when did longines and wittnuaer merge i have some that say wittnaeur longines??? any info would be great

Is it possible that those watches having the same symbol have been repaired by the same watchmaker ? Mostly they engrave their "symbol" on the inner case back, maybe some didn´t ?

The "Tradition" brand was owned by Sears, Roebuck & Co., back in the day when Sears was the US's largest retailer.

Assembled watches were purchased from Switzerland by the thousands from some of the largest manufacturers there. I know that chronographs were made by Heuer/Valjoux, and some were identical to Heuer models of the time.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

Thread Information