Tavannes 330 vs 570 series movement 1910s Trench Watch

Thread: Tavannes 330 vs 570 series movement 1910s Trench Watch

Hello!
    This is my first post on watchuseek. A little background, I've always loved vintage watches and have wanted a trench watch for quite some time as my first collection piece. I've been eyeing the piece below but have some questions about the movement. This is being sold as a 1910's Tavannes 11 jewel trench watch. There are a few red flags to me that I was hoping someone on here could address?

1) The seller has indicated that this is a 570 series tavannes movement, and that it is not unheard of in the 570 series to have 8-11 jewels. However, I couldn't find another tavannes wrist piece of the era, regardless of movement, that has 8-11 jewels on an extensive google search. The other issue I have is that the movement seems to be more of a 13''' rather than a 15''' (570 series). The reason why I say this is because the click on this piece is located directly next to the balance cock, and the only other 15''' that has the click next to the balance cock has 3 train cocks (15'''-6T, see below diagram).

2) A lot of the parts in the movement seem to be new, which makes it harder to authenticate. The post for this watch says that the movement is signed, but again I couldn't see any sort of signature.

3) The case is a blanches fontaines, which the seller indicated isn't uncommon given the Tavannes/Blanches Fontaines relationship that I guess dates back to the 1890s? Can anyone confirm this?

I'm just trying not to get hosed on my first piece and would love some input. I've attached images of the piece plus the Tavannes diagram I used when looking at different movements.

Thank you!

Attached Images Attached Images

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gfarah View Post
    Hello!
    This is my first post on watchuseek. A little background, I've always loved vintage watches and have wanted a trench watch for quite some time as my first collection piece. I've been eyeing the piece below but have some questions about the movement. This is being sold as a 1910's Tavannes 11 jewel trench watch. There are a few red flags to me that I was hoping someone on here could address?

1) The seller has indicated that this is a 570 series tavannes movement, and that it is not unheard of in the 570 series to have 8-11 jewels. However, I couldn't find another tavannes wrist piece of the era, regardless of movement, that has 8-11 jewels on an extensive google search. The other issue I have is that the movement seems to be more of a 13''' rather than a 15''' (570 series). The reason why I say this is because the click on this piece is located directly next to the balance cock, and the only other 15''' that has the click next to the balance cock has 3 train cocks (15'''-6T, see below diagram).

2) A lot of the parts in the movement seem to be new, which makes it harder to authenticate. The post for this watch says that the movement is signed, but again I couldn't see any sort of signature.
    Hi and welcome.

You’ve checked the source document so without double checking your work, it would seem the seller has misidentified the calibre - not unusual.

I’m confused by your statement of new parts. Did the seller state that? The photo has all the highlights blown out so who knows what condition the parts are in - you said yourself you can see the signature. Ask for a better photo.

Besides that, what are you trying to authenticate?

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Tavannes 330 vs 570 series movement 1910s Trench Watch

Welcome to Watchuseek! I will try to answer as best as I can.

1. The movement does look rather like a 570 series movement. In particular, if the movement was only 13''' (ca. 30mm across), the geartrain bridge would not be perfectly triangular but would have a "bump" protruding on one side, just as in the Cal. 13''' - 3B in your drawing.

2. The differences in the bridge layout between your movement and others of that series is merely cosmetic - makers often had several versions of one and the same movement in those days that were effectively the same but just looked a little different.

3. The fact that the click is in a different place on your movement is that yours is a savonette ("hunter") movement for closed face pocket watches with a front lid or for wrist watches whereas the other is a lepine movement for open face pocket watches. You leave everything in the same place except for the crown and winding stem on the one hand and the mainspring barrel on the other hand which switch place. Compare the Unitas Cal. 6497 (lepine) and the 6498 (savonette) movements for a modern example:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Unitas 6497

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Unitas 6498

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information