Tavannes pocket watch questions

Thread: Tavannes pocket watch questions

Tavannes pocket watch questions

Good evening everyone! I am new to the forum and excited about learning something from the experts! I have recently acquired a Tavannes pocket watch from my mother, that belonged to her grandmother. (my great grandmother). I am curious as to if someone can help me identify the date of manufacture (approximately) and perhaps some interesting details about my piece. Also, just whether or not I have a decent looking specimen, that I'd like to share with the watch community

The watch functions, I was able to wind it a few clicks and it started ticking away. I have a few questions though about its operation. I'm sure it can be detrimental to just start winding the heck out of these, so could someone enlighten me as to how often/how much you should wind the watch, should I at all considering its age, and most of all, how do you set the correct time?

The engraving on the outside rear of the watch reads "OEG" which stands for Olive Ethel Galloway (my great grandmother) inside the watch, on the back cover reads "Warranted B & B Royal 20 Years 6121879" the movement itself is engraved "Tavannes watch co." and "3966481"

Any information that anyone can provide on this piece is greatly appreciated! Thanks for everyone's time, and I hope you enjoy viewing my watch!

Re: Tavannes pocket watch questions

One more thing I should add that I didn't see earlier, I noticed on the movement it very vaguely says "US Patent 24 May 1904"

If you're going to wear it, you must get it serviced. A watch this old can't run reliably if it hasn't been examined and cleaned by a professional. The oil inside is long gone, and you'll only damage it by trying to run it.

A lady's watch, obviously. Turn of the last century. You won't harm it by winding it up and running it, but you will, if you don't get it serviced. Dry gears and wheels grinding against each other without oil will damage the watch. The balance spins very very fast, and that will produce friction that will damage it. So you need to get it oiled by a professional.

Once it's serviced and cleaned and put back together, just find a chain or a brooch for it, clip it on, wind it up to the top, and let it run.

It's a fairly standard crown-set watch. You pull up the crown, turn it to set the time, pop the crown back down, and then wind it up.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for the information! As soon as it stops on this wind, I won't wind it back up again until I can get it serviced. Thanks for telling me this! In my ignorance, I would have probably wound it quite frequently before having it serviced. Also, thanks for the tip on setting it. Much appreciated!

Thread Information