TECHNOS 17 RUBIS ORIGINAL VINTAGE 18K GOLD 30 DIAMONDS
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: TECHNOS 17 RUBIS ORIGINAL VINTAGE 18K GOLD 30 DIAMONDS

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

TECHNOS 17 RUBIS ORIGINAL VINTAGE 18K GOLD 30 DIAMONDS

My grandmother gave this to my wife the day of our marriage. I did not know about this and still don't know a thing... Does anyone has any info (year, model, value etc) about this Technos 17 Rubis 18K Gold watch with 30 diamonds on it? The weird thing that dropped our jaws is that when we clocked it we saw that it actually.... STILL WORKS !!!
    Name:  DSC03851.JPG
Views: 126
Size:  2.33 MBName:  DSC03859.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  395.3 KBName:  DSC03862.JPG
Views: 122
Size:  2.75 MBName:  DSC03863.JPG
Views: 122
Size:  2.82 MBName:  DSC03860.JPG
Views: 121
Size:  2.25 MBName:  DSC03854.JPG
Size:  2.38 MBName:  DSC03855.JPG
Size:  2.71 MB

Re: TECHNOS 17 RUBIS ORIGINAL VINTAGE 18K GOLD 30 DIAMONDS

'''My grandmother gave this to my wife the day of our marriage. I did not know about this and still don't know a thing...'''

Are your trying to say granny and your wife made a secret out of this?

What concerns the brand, here is some info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technos_%28watches%29

I cannot imagine that the watch went out of the factory like this; most likely a jeweller took a standard (gold) watch and combined it with a nice piece of jewelry.
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; August 6th, 2015 at 18:20.

LOL ! no of course not ! My grandma had it for years. I think it was a gift to her by my grandpa. I first saw it on our wedding day. She gave it as a wedding present to my wife

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AntKa View Post
    LOL ! no of course not ! My grandma had it for years. I think it was a gift to her by my grandpa. I first saw it on our wedding day. She gave it as a wedding present to my wife
    Sorry, just a joke. I think here you have to differentiate between the watch and the jewelry around, which is a unique (and presumably valuable) piece of work. 18K (0.525) gold and the diamonds. What would bring the experts here any further, would be a picture of the movement. The case on this type of watch is normally very easy to open, but I don't know how complicated it is now with the work around. Of course, when you check the link above, it is an old watch from the earlier 20th century and not a product from a later stage in the company's history.

I can make a video for you to watch on Youtube if you want. I see that you know more than me on this matter ! Your opinion would sure help a lot !

Looks like an easy pop off back to me. The lip is easily seen.
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

A Youtube video would not get us any further. The pictures tell enough. As I said, you have a nice bracelet combined with a standard Technos watch, something unique and unusual.

To say more about the watch/movement itself, one would have to see a picture of the movement with good visibility of the details. If that would be just the standard model of Technos, I would also say it's an easy pop off - snap on case, where you can't do much wrong and the back comes off with ease. There is also a lip for that purpose, or you go in between the upper and lower part of the case with a sharp knife to lever the house open. There should be practically no resistance, unlike on later watches which need a special tool to press the bottom back on. Here you can press both sides together with your fingers (not putting force on the glas/acryl!)

The crown and stem are not in a hole, but in a slot (that's why these old watches are not watertight), so one would have to be careful that the movement doesn't fall out. Also do not press the knife to hard to the inside, not to hit the movement/dial/pointers when the upper and lower parts of the case open up.

If you are afraid to make any mistake, look for a watch collector (they all know how to do that after six month experience with wrist watches) or go to a watchmaker and ask him to open it for you. You can push the back on back home after you took the pictures of the movement.
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; August 6th, 2015 at 19:26.

I see... Thank you for your help Border-Reiver ! Maybe I'll try to open it. If I make it, I'll get back to you with more pics.

Hi and welcome
    I beleive the watch to be all original, gold and diamonds and very smart indeed.

Its a very nice piece, and still wearable because its a magnificent piece of jewellery.
    In this case movement is irrelevant (unless its a Patek)
    PS - I would NOT try to open it, 18kt gold is too easily marked

ENJOY and KEEP
    adam
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; August 6th, 2015 at 19:30.
    AntKa likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

I just opened an old Gotham watch, some 10 to 15 years 'younger' than yours, but same case type. There is one thing which is a bit more tricky: Once the case is open, you have to take the movement out and put it upside down to make the shots of the movement. Of course, it should not come to rest on the dial and the pointers. The watchmaker has special movement holders which support the outer part or the sides of the dial, you have to improvise here. Do not put it on a cotton pad or something similar, as you get a lot of fluff inside the watch. Perhaps you can hold it with your fingers at the side, whilst somebody else makes the images.

But as Horologist007 mentioned, be especially careful with gold, although a normal opening job with the right tool /case opener knife should leave no scratches. If you are satisfied with what you have so far, a Techno watch from the earlier 20th century, most likely with a more standard movement of whatever make, leave it closed. The value comes predominantly from the jewelry work and its unique design and not from the watch. I still firmly believe that the watch has not left the factory in this way and was integrated into a piece of art by a jeweler afterwards.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Border-Reiver; August 6th, 2015 at 19:44.
    AntKa likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information