Thank you Seele! A lovely Aussie/Swiss Farren Price
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By joeuk
  • 1 Post By Seele

Thread: Thank you Seele! A lovely Aussie/Swiss Farren Price

Thank you Seele! A lovely Aussie/Swiss Farren Price

One of our friendliest Australian members saw a thread I started in Affordables, about seeking a watch as a daily wearer while working in Australia for a month. (It was just one of those excuses to talk more about watches.) Seele posted to ask if I knew of J. Farren Price watches, made in Switzerland for a high-end jeweler in Sydney. Then, he went looking for a nice vintage one in Sydney, bought it, and shipped it to me in California. WUS is indeed a very unique community.

This specimen is probably mid or early 50s, with an Adolf Schild hand-wind movement, body seems to be chrome plated base metal (according to the rear plate, and confirmed by brass colored wear marks) with plexi crystal, a delicate 32mm diameter with 16mm lugs. I love the applied numbers in a slightly tiki font, very modern for the time. It winds smoothly and seems to keep pretty good time so far. (It just arrived this morning.) Good fun. I suppose I shall have to go get it cleaned if I plan to wear it often.

Thank you, Seele!

The movement photo is from Seele, the wrist shots are upon arrival:

Name:  JFPmove.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  81.5 KB

Name:  RIMG0016.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  79.5 KB

Name:  JFP1.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  118.0 KB

Name:  JFP3.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  122.3 KB
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

"Watches tie people to the celestial clockwork... but people have been encouraged by their clocks to ignore the daily and seasonal cycles and to pretend that there is nothing to contend with but metronome-paced linear time. We appear to have caged the sun inside a machine." Michael Young, The Metronomic Society, p. 204

Re: Thank you Seele! A lovely Aussie/Swiss Farren Price

Well Congrats to a classic looking watch and well-done seele, I have found this sort of help in here and like you said what a great community
    skywatch likes this.

Skywatch,

I am glad that it met with your approval; perhaps you are now the only person in the US with a JFP watch and knows who they are.

I have walked past their shop when in the city plenty of times, but I never felt an urge to step in; after all I feel that they cater for clients whose priorities are very different from mine!

Enjoy!
    skywatch likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I certainly wouldn't mind owning some of those watches they sell (JLC Memovox or Master Ultra Thin, for example.) It's just the part about paying for it that I don't like. Luckily there is a market for such things, so they can exist for us to oggle occasionally. I'm happy with my humble little widgets.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

"Watches tie people to the celestial clockwork... but people have been encouraged by their clocks to ignore the daily and seasonal cycles and to pretend that there is nothing to contend with but metronome-paced linear time. We appear to have caged the sun inside a machine." Michael Young, The Metronomic Society, p. 204

In a sense we're miles ahead of those who would only look at, and purchase high-cost watches: we can enjoy looking at theirs but they won't enjoy looking at ours!

Thread Information