Theme or Signed Pieces?

Thread: Theme or Signed Pieces?

Question Theme or Signed Pieces?

I know some people really enjoy collecting character watches and other people enjoy collecting watches presented to companies or individuals as rewards.

I'm always on the look out for watches presented to military units or interesting company logo'd type watches. Anyone else collect these?

Re: Theme or Signed Pieces?

hey lookin at some military watches to start a collection i have been trying to get some clocks out of some old scrapped vehicles we have used for parts in restoring the museum vehicles the following pic is of tavannes military? and some vehicles from the museum
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by 2DeltaFoxtrot View Post
    I know some people really enjoy collecting character watches and other people enjoy collecting watches presented to companies or individuals as rewards.

I'm always on the look out for watches presented to military units or interesting company logo'd type watches. Anyone else collect these?
    There is a poll running in the public forum asking if inscriptions increase/decrease the value of a watch. In general I suspect they have a negative effect... but I have found myself being interested in a specific piece because of an interesting inscription.

But if they start having a positive effect on the watch value, I fear for 'counterfeit inscriptions' ... so I don't normally comment positively on them
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by osiris View Post
    hey lookin at some military watches to start a collection i have been trying to get some clocks out of some old scrapped vehicles we have used for parts in restoring the museum vehicles the following pic is of tavannes military? and some vehicles from the museum
    Nice pics.

A couple of Bren gun carriers and a Stewart (?) tank.

Plenty of WWII watches here in England.

Here is a JLC of mine with beautiful MOD relume.

Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website
    http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    There is a poll running in the public forum asking if inscriptions increase/decrease the value of a watch. In general I suspect they have a negative effect... but I have found myself being interested in a specific piece because of an interesting inscription.

But if they start having a positive effect on the watch value, I fear for 'counterfeit inscriptions' ... so I don't normally comment positively on them
    I saw that post and in a general sense I think inscriptions do lower the value but given the right inscription, it can also add to the value and better add a bit of historical background as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DeltaFoxtrot View Post
    I saw that post and in a general sense I think inscriptions do lower the value but given the right inscription, it can also add to the value and better add a bit of historical background as well.
    Certainly agree with that.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website
    http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052/index.htm

Here's a good "for instance" that may make some people change their minds about inscriptions... Look at presented/awarded time pieces given to soilders or veterans of WW1 which I found to be a not too uncommon practice in some countries like England, France, and Russia.

I would certainly like to own a watch presented to a soldier for valor in a certain battle which in my opinion makes it very collectable. On the other hand an inscription like "Thanks for 20 loving years of marriage" doesn't interest me at all.

Next time I come across one of these, I'll get some photo's and post them.

Thread Information