Is there a solution to this?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mkws
  • 1 Post By Dan S
  • 1 Post By Michael Maddan

Thread: Is there a solution to this?

Is there a solution to this?

Recently picked up this Hamilton Cameron. I believe it is from first year of issue 1937. Subdial hand appears to have been changed but otherwise all in pretty good shape....except....(couldn't notice this until I took the flex band off) one female and one male spring bar end. Any way to solve this? Turn the male into female or vice versa.? Anyone dealt with this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Is there a solution to this?

This watch should have male pins and female springbars all around. What probably happened is that one of the pins broke off on the bottom and the owner had a jeweler remove the one on the other side and drill them both out to take a regular male spring bar.

A good jeweler or goldsmith could restore the pins to match the top, but it would likely be expensive relative to the overall value of the watch.

Here's the story of the restoration of another Cameron:

Vintage Hamilton Watch Restoration: 1937 Cameron

BTW, female springbars are rarely used today, so good quality new ones are not easy to find.

Hope this helps.
    gatorcpa

If it was up to me, I wouldn't care and leave it as is. True, it's a wee bit peculiar as it is now, but then again, if it isn't a pain in where the back loses its name, and it isn't a technical issue, there's no need for doing anything 'bout that. My $0.02.
    badbackdan likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It could be fixed either way. The best way would be to have a goldsmith add male lugs to the side that has been converted to female. This would take a skilled smith especially if the lugs are hollow. But if you make the other side female, the spring bars will be much harder on the lugs.

It would probably be fine to leave as is honestly, but better safe than sorry when it comes to a 14k watch dropping off your wrist.

It is perfectly functional as it is, so why mess with it. This is just part of this individual watch's personality that it has acquired over the years.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Thanks all for suggestions. I will explore adding male lugs. I will also look to find the best fitting male and female spring bars to keep as is. If it feels secure I will most likely leave it as is. Thanks

You might need female spring bars with a larger bore than is normally sold; you should measure the OD of the male pins. Something like this might work for you.

FEMALE SPRINGBARS 10 X 18MM X 2.0mm MODERN STYLE .85mm END HOLE FREE SHIPPING WW | eBay
    Giotime likes this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Hello! I think that your second's hand is original...I've owned several Hamilton's rather like yours and they all sported blued steel second's hands...most folks seem to like the contrast with gold hour & minute hands...I do!

On another point: I recall that (all?) Hamilton's had solid gold numerals...I'm pretty sure that yours does...it was a point Hamilton made in their ads.

Nice watch...enjoy.
    Giotime likes this.

Thread Information