Are these worth taking to a pro?
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Are these worth taking to a pro?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Are these worth taking to a pro?

I've got a few watches (2 Hamilton automatics, a Benrus, and a Sicura/Breitling diver) that are either missing something like a stem, or that just need an overhaul but the last time I took a watch in to get worked on it was shockingly expensive. Maybe it was the place I went, or the watch, or who knows. So I'd like to get some feedback on what I should do with these. I'd love to have all of them running but I don't want to pay through the nose.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Are these worth taking to a pro?

Personally I would not waste money resurrecting any of them, but that's me. The question of course is one that only you can answer--are any of these watches so dear to you that you feel worth investing in? We can't answer that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    Personally I would not waste money resurrecting any of them, but that's me. The question of course is one that only you can answer--are any of these watches so dear to you that you feel worth investing in? We can't answer that for you.
    This is a very good point, and one that I align with. Another point to that, while replacing a stem and crown isn't necessarily hard, locating the correct stem and crown very well can be. I gave up on an old Timex I had after searching weeks for a replacement stem. Sometimes it's just not worth it unless the watch is really something special to you like fleas said.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    Yeah, that's pretty much getting at the meat of it - if I have a decent sense of how much of a PITA/$ it might be I could decide, so I guess I'm trying to assess that. They're not special watches in any way, just watches I picked up for cheap that I thought might make for decent projects and maybe I'd end up with a nice watch. So now I'm trying to figure out if I should a) pay someone else to revive these watches (sounds like more trouble than it's worth, although the one Hamilton picture with a strap is just running very slow so maybe I'd bring that in to get refreshed), b) try to do it myself (jury's still out...) or c) sell and move on.

Very helpful stuff, guys. thanks.

Fix up the hamiltons and sell the others for parts. You might get enough for that "Diver" to make up for some of the costs of fixing the Hamiltons.

The Hamilton with the strap on it looks like it would be the best candidate for refreshing. Some new glass, a case polish, and a tune up and you'd be looking at a pretty solid resto Hamilton.
    pmwas likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by FreddyNorton View Post
    Fix up the hamiltons and sell the others for parts. You might get enough for that "Diver" to make up for some of the costs of fixing the Hamiltons.
    Ah, you beat me to it. Haha

The last Hamilton looks in a decent shape, nicely patinated lume, perfect dial: crown and crystal change alone will make it shine :)
    timesofplenty and pmwas like this.
    Chaos is my focus

I'd suggest looking for a watch that you like that's complete and running. Maybe sell these or offer them to your watchmaker as trade for service.
    Scott
    I'll be back if/when the forum software is updated.
    Until then:
    contact timesofplenty at ebay

Ahhh, the pessimism and the defeatism, whole buckets of it splashed all over the thread... Rule number one: have your mind filter off the dirt and the knackered crystal from the image of the watch in order to picture what hides beneath said factors.

The Benrus is quite nice, especially with the step bezel. A new crown, crystal, and a proper cleaning (but not polishing!) of the case should transform it completely. Black dials with gilt printing have a certain appeal to them, an appeal that I truly like. Here's my Eterna, with a very similar dial style and identical aging to the radium lume (turned almost black):
    Name:  42eternawrist.JPG
Views: 99
Size:  509.5 KB

...only it has a clean case, and a crystal without scuffs and scratches.

IMO, both Hamiltons deserve getting fixed. The one on the strap probably more, but if it was up to me, I'd get both sorted out.

Concerning the diver, it's not a "Sicura/Breitling", it's just a Sicura. The old ownership ties are a hype instrument, nothing more. And it's a pin-lever, as these usually are. Which means, that it's potentially problematic if something goes wrong with it. Besides, it's boring (to me, at least), and its case looks like someone has already managed to polish it so heavily, that it looks like a soap bar.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information