They exist - anywhere - out there
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: They exist - anywhere - out there

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

They exist - anywhere - out there

Hi ladies,

India is known for old watches with rotten cases and movements, a gaudi colored dial with a print inspired by any famous model from any brand. E.g. the Omega Ranchero is avalable with every brand (including Omega) and every color (inclouding black).

I've now and then posted here, that among this trash sometimes amazing gems show up. Moreover I search since long for Ricoh movements, to get them the first time into any archive - mine in this case. But for this purpose one can't pass India. And finally I noticed: They exist, the samples without corrosion damage, with untouched original dial, and well running movement. One needs to search long, but finally is rewarded with a ridiculous price, since already the origin country keeps most serious bidders away, while newbies bid the same diisregarding condition.

And here is the reason to become happy:

Maybe a bit over-polished, but I don't know how it actually should look. Crisp dial, and even a day display im matching color.

Smooth gasket seat without the typical appearance of the Grand Canyon, lugs without deep grooves and with still defined contours. And the movement needed just a fitting crown, some adjustment to the hairspring, and a third screw for the rotor post - peanuts compared with the average (even outside India).

Here the archive entry for the movement with an interesting detail:
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Ricoh Auto

If you have time enough, it may be worth while to study items from India. A good approach may be to browse all offers from a seller. This one for instance clearly stated which dials are original, and which are redials, and after my oppinion he was always right, although most dials were well above Mumbai standard.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    kazrich, mikeyt_53, Reich and 1 others like this.

Re: They exist - anywhere - out there

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Ranfft View Post
    Hi ladies,

India is known for old watches with rotten cases and movements, a gaudi colored dial with a print inspired by any famous model from any brand.
    Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Hi Roland - with respect.
    It is also known for great things - like Mahatma Gandhi
    other great achievements are in India, like The Taj Mahal
    Welcome To Official WebSite of Taj Mahal-U.P.Tourism

Just as we are not all "ladies" here neither is India only "rotten watches"

I am glad you may learn that with your latest acquisition

Sincerely
    adam
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; July 31st, 2014 at 00:07.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Gratulation Roland,
    a hard chase through climate-related decomposed watches, but hit the mark. For my person I can say that I bought two email pocket watches until now in india and the happyness was the same. Very friendly communication and top reserved orginal watches. I guess the main problem is the way many india people think. The climate "eats" the metal diasl and they do their best to get nice looking watches back. CRazy freaks who want ugly old stuff.

Be Happy ..kind regards Silke
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Very similar to a Seiko/Orient, isn't it?

Hi Roland ,
    Well done on your successful search . I bought a Benrus from India for my son. Naturally it was a redial but that watch is solid. He often takes the back off just to watch the balance play. For only $10.00 so great value. I do look at some of their sellers and would buy from India again but as always ... caveat emptor.
    Regards,

Hi Adam,

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    It is also known for great things - like Mahatma Gandhi
    Could you have had a rather sensitive egg for breakfast?

This is a watch forum, and nobody argues that Swiss bank business degrades watch industry to peanuts. It is a fact that the India old-watch business is dominated by funky cadavers. What I wanted to point out (by far not the first time) is: Click further if you meet such trash, but don't click further if you read India as origin.

I even don't blame the sellers of such stuff. The majority clearly describe what they sell, recycle what they get for cheap in huge quantities, and supply an obvious demand. People have the right to love these gaudy things, but should consider that rust doesn't stop if it reaches gears an pivots.

On the other hand, air conditioned bureaus are not unknown in India, and together with the huge population this guaranties that a reasonable quantity of watches age in honors. And if you focus to less known Japanese brands, or some Swiss makers who had good connections to this big market, you can't miss out this source.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

(.... still hoping that his home country is not reduced to trash separation and an imported psychopath with tiny drop catcher under his nose)

How did this one escape without improvements? Heads are going to roll........

On a serious note, I read on another thread that in the past (mostly in the US) it was common to have one's watch redialed to make it look new with minimum expense. Not sure how accurate this information is but this would be the thought behind the gaudy watches that come out of here. Of course, there are those lured by quick profits as well.
    Last edited by aditya; July 31st, 2014 at 07:00.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

For those who are interested in Ricoh watches and looking at Indian auctions, it is worth noting that the majority on offer are hand-winding models which seem to be made in India with Japanese movement parts, whereas the automatics are probably imported from Japan. I might be misunderstanding the general situation, and certainly not making a value judgement between the two, but I thought it was worth pointing out to the curious. The idea of an India-only model of a Japanese brand is quite appealing to me so some reason.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Ranfft View Post
    (.... still hoping that his home country is not reduced to trash separation and an imported psychopath with tiny drop catcher under his nose)
    That's what happens with cheap imports! But, don't worry, I think the world has more or less forgiven and forgotten.
    Last edited by aditya; July 31st, 2014 at 09:12.

Quote Originally Posted by aditya View Post
    (...) But, don't worry, I think the world has more or less forgotten.
    Oh, has it? I don't think so...

Anyway - back to Ricohs. Roland, you could have asked me - two Automatics with (I believe) the Ricoh cal. 61:

Quote Originally Posted by UhrForum Member Stepi
    Ricoh's cal. 61 came out in 1970, with a monometallic rotor and big holes in the wheels of the winding train. Later the rotor was replaced by one with a heavy metal rim. The slit next to the hub was meant to keep shocks from the rotor bearing, or so at least they hoped in the 1970s.
    The cal 61 was the only one with 21 jewels, the 31, 38, 40 and 41 had 25. All ran at 18,000 bpm. The family was complemented in 1975 with the 21,600 bpm cal. 251, available with 17 or 22 jewels.

'Ricoh' branded watches exist since 1962. Originally the 1899-founded 'Takano Seimitsu Kogyo Co' of Nagoya, Japan, did it enter a joint venture with Hamilton to produce wristwatches. As of 1962 the joint company was named 'Hamilton-Ricoh Watch Co'.

(...)

The joint venture with Hamilton broke up in the early 1970s and Ricoh continued to produce mechanical watches under their own brand until the end of the 1980s.
    The guy, by the way, is the UhrForum's resident expert on Ricoh watches - he actually collects them.

A funny aside is that after Seiko called their entry-level watches "5" and Citizen "7", Ricoh named their's - most appropriately - "9".

Best,
    Tomcat
    Last edited by Tomcat1960; July 31st, 2014 at 09:44.
    armian and busmatt like this.
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information