Thinking of buying a vintage omega
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Thinking of buying a vintage omega

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thinking of buying a vintage omega

Hi guys this is my first post on this forum so I hope I'm in the right area, there's allot of sub-forums!

Basically I've been thinking for some time that it'd be nice to own a vintage watch, I'm not really bothered about it being collectible or worth money later on etc this wouldn't be an investment for me I would be buying it to wear, enjoy the classic look of it and ponder on its history now and then.

I've been looking at the omega seamaster, mainly on eBay but just wanted to get some input on what you guys think, is that a good choice to go for or are there any others you'd recommend? Buying elsewhere other than eBay? And also if anyone has any input on the differences between the 600 and 601 movement.

Hopefully someone can help me out.

Thanks

Roy

Re: Thinking of buying a vintage omega

Firstly, wlecome to the forum.

Hand wind Seamasters of the base caliber 600 family are a good choice for an entry level purchase. Robust movements and nice, minimalist cases. Also cal 552 and 563/565 Seamaster DeVille automatics can be a good choice if you choose carefully. Seamasters are a venerable brand and its a good idea to bone up on the models you like first before taking the plunge.

Use this forum for some guidance.

Cheers

Desmond

The Seamaster De Ville is a Grail of mine. The bar is pretty low at this point! haha

Take a look at those though. Seriously beautiful watches.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

What is the main difference with a De Ville?

about 8 months ago i got a Seamaster cal.565 with the bead-of-rice bracelet. ( i really like that style vintage bracelet) Be sure to do a lot of research before you start bidding, so you can tell the good ones. if you are looking for one with a vintage bracelet be sure to find out the size, many seem to only fit small wrists. it can cost quite a lot to get links for a discontinued bracelet, that is if you can find them at all. it took me 6 months to find a single extra link for my stainless steel bead-of-rice bracelet to make it feel totally right.

also i find that the early quick set date used on my watch can be a little tricky.. it moves the date forward when you pull the crown out all the way out.. i have accidentally changed the date when i am trying to set the time.

over all i love my old omega and i have found many retired faculty that i work with have ones very similar to mine, which they bought new in the 60s, and they are still wearing them today

Thanks, I plan on doing my research an hopefully I'll gain some knowledge through you guys. I personally prefer a leather strap and I'm not too fussed if its not an original, I would expect an original strap to be pretty worn out by now. I just really like the vintage look and I know it probably goes against the grain but I'm not a purist in the sense where I have to have it all original. I'd be happy if I managed to get a great movement and spent a bit on new crystal, strap etc to get it back to looking great

not a great picture, but here is my Seamaster before i got the extra link and i love it.
    Name:  WP_000463.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  105.6 KB
    maybe i will get a nice leather strap too, but i just love that beads-of-rice band, and i am not sure i would want to try another. i think you will find the search very rewarding, but be careful being a member of WUS you may be getting involved in a lot more buying before you know it. my other passion in soviet watches and i did not know anything about them before joining WUS.
    i uses these sites a lot in my searches also
    OMEGA Watches: Vintage Watches Database
    and
    OmegaAddict Memebrs
    you can look up the cases or calibre and often see what a good one looks like.
    Jay23 likes this.

Many of the early De Ville automatics were cased in the US, and so if you live there, you have an additional connection to the piece. The name De Vile was also coined by Omega's US agent, Norman Morris back in the early 60s and Omega took it on for the rest of the world much later. Translation of De Ville from the French simply means "City" and what Morris intended originally was for these pieces to be an affordable and robust day watch.

Now if you want the Grail of all of these early De Villes, then the 'Kleerback' will be the object of your desire. I wrote an essay on them http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com./2008/11/rare-seamaster-deville-prototype.html

Cheers
    Desmond

Quote Originally Posted by Roydavis33 View Post
    What is the main difference with a De Ville?
    Last edited by mondodec; June 25th, 2013 at 03:58.

Thanks for those websites, that database is brilliant! And I had a quick look at the essay which also looks great, I'm gonna have a good read of all of that when I get time later. Thanks

How do you guys view refinished dials? Is that a major problem? My view is as long as its done proffesionally and well it's not so much of a problem, but it still needs to look authentic. Just interested to see your views

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information