Thoughts on this 1970s Omega Seamaster? Real or Fake?

Thread: Thoughts on this 1970s Omega Seamaster? Real or Fake?

This was a recent eBay purchase. The dial was a little suspect (notice the position of 'Swiss Made'. It's supposed to have a cal 1012. And be an original dial.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354694768.723472.jpg
Views: 1357
Size:  109.6 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354694782.256138.jpg
Views: 1413
Size:  127.4 KB

Any thoughts appreciated!

Re: Thoughts on this 1970s Omega Seamaster? Real or Fake?

Some things to take note the date is not in the date window right, seems early to be changing date so hands may need to come off and placed in the right place or date isnt locking in. A couple of spots on the movement and the dial looks too clean and wondering why no second hand, with a dial colour like that makes me think its and indian special. But just wait for others to chime in, so many fakes or badly worked on omegas always makes me question such watches.

The black lines on those hour markers are way way off. There's also too much of a gap between the dial and the crystal ring, or maybe it's missing the ring.

Other than that, the second hands on the 10xx series are really unique, which means whatever spare second hands you have in stock probably won't fit. I've had to go through that pain with my 1010 Geneve. Luckily, Ofrei sells them for 16 bucks a pop.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thought the black lines were shadows on the picture - if crazyfist is right then that's that right there.

Other than that:
    It is unusual for the luminescent dots to be fully exposed. Normally the hour markers partly cover them.
    It is unusual for the 3 to be missing a luminescent dot without the 9 having that removed also. If the 3 and 9 have none then oftentimes the 6 and 12 don't have any either.
    It is highly unusual for the hour hand to clip the hour marker as normally there is a discreet gap
    It is unusual for the minute hand to cover the minute markers (if the minute hand is flat tipped like this). If it is a pointed minute hand this can happen.

It is hard to say from the picture but the "S" in Seamaster seems less thick than the "eamaster" which seems odd.
    It also seems that the metal of the hands does not quite match the hour markers which is also odd.

Is any of this definitive - no - but if you take the time to look at other Seamasters or any Omega for that matter and you will find this watch looking suspicious.
    Is it fake? possibly not. Is it franken? I think the likelihood is high.

Dablitzer, did you buy this watch from India?
    I agree with JoeUk and would think this is an Indian special, it has the aura.

I bought it from an eBay jeweller in the UK! It was a spare of the moment buy..(my guilty pleasure..) it cost £425! I've just sent it back and got refund..phew!!

never buy a watch through a jeweller on ebay, they are not experienced master watchmakers and they often sell poor condition items
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

Quote Originally Posted by georges zaslavsky View Post
    never buy a watch through a jeweller on ebay, they are not experienced master watchmakers and they often sell poor condition items
    Thank you for the advice! I'm learning the many pitfalls in vintage watch collecting...never straight forward!

Thread Information