Thoughts on this 1972 Bulova Oceanographer?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Thoughts on this 1972 Bulova Oceanographer?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thoughts on this 1972 Bulova Oceanographer?

Hi!

I was hoping you might be able to share some of your knowledge about this particular what that's for sale:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Watchexchan...oceanographer/. It's a 1972 Bulova Oceanographer for $425.

Direct Link to Photos: https://imgur.com/a/mj1uqjx

I've been interacting with the seller for a little while about another watch, and have had good dialogue. He seems to be a good seller. But I know very little about vintage watches. I'm trying to learn though.

I saw this watch and it really caught my eye. I'd love to add a vintage dress watch to my collection, and I like the thought of this one. I currently have a Seiko Sarb033 as my dress watch, and while it's a heck of a watch and heck of a value, I don't really love it. This vintage piece would potentially take it's place in my collection as a dressy watch to wear maybe twice a week.

Aesthetically, the only concern I have is with the white gold fluted bezel. I'd prefer stainless steel. Mechanically I'm wondering about the reliability in general, and of the disclaimer that the case ring is bent and when installed it causes the rotor not to wind. I don't really know the practical implications of that. And then of course, being a newbie, I'm unsure if the price is good or not. It's within my budget, if it's a good value.

How difficult would it be to source a bracelet to go with it? Not original or even accurate—just a SS bracelet that would like decent with it?

Overal, it looks pretty cool to me. I'm not a purist when it comes to my watches, especially in my hunt for vintage. I'm just looking for something that will fit a need in my collection, have some cool vintage character, and represent a decent value.

Any thoughts or perspectives? I appreciate the wealth of knowledge here so much, and your willingness to share it with a newbie like me! Thank you!
    Last edited by bms259; June 9th, 2018 at 22:54. Reason: added link

Re: Thoughts on this 1972 Bulova Oceanographer?

Seems like a lot of money for a broken DateJust wannabe. If you have more photos, please post them directly. I clicked on the link and saw only one low resolution image and I didn't immediately see how to look at other photos.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    Seems like a lot of money for a broken DateJust wannabe. If you have more photos, please post them directly. I clicked on the link and saw only one low resolution image and I didn't immediately see how to look at other photos.
    Thanks for taking time to look. Sorry the photos were easily accessible. Here's the link to all the photos: https://imgur.com/a/mj1uqjx

It being a Datejust wannabe doesn't bother me. I'm not a purist. I really like the Oyster case, but don't think I'll ever own a Rolex—maybe a Tudor Prince one day, but not any day soon.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well it looks totally legit to me, but pretty beat up, especially for the price. I'm don't know what the deal is with the movement ring. The seller is suggesting that you would either install the movement ring and use the watch as a hand-winder, or remove the movement ring and then the watch will wind automatically. However, in the latter case, I would be concerned that the movement would be loose, perhaps causing the rotor to rub on the case-back.

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    Well it looks totally legit to me, but pretty beat up, especially for the price. I'm don't know what the deal is with the movement ring. The seller is suggesting that you would either install the movement ring and use the watch as a hand-winder, or remove the movement ring and then the watch will wind automatically. However, in the latter case, I would be concerned that the movement would be loose, perhaps causing the rotor to rub on the case-back.
    Thanks! I wouldn’t mind just hand winding. I was kind of expecting that in my budget.

I’ll think about some more and make sure it’ll fit my needs, and then maybe seen if there’s some movement on the price if I ultimately decide I want it.

Any idea what a model like this in better shape and in full working order might be worth?

Any thoughts on how this one compares with other watches around $400 that I might be able to find elsewhere?

I honestly think for that price, you can get a very nice problem free one. The case looks to have been a little overpolished to me which means its been pretty beat up. The movement ring would be an issue for me at that price also. It sounds like you are already sacrificing a few issues and talking yourself into buying it. I think you're rushing into something that you may not be happy with at $450.
    tinknocker likes this.
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

I think that the seller is trying to pump up this model because it looks like a Rolex, but to me it's a bit of a negative that it is basically a copy of another watch. In my mind it's almost like buying a replica. You can find Eterna, Certina, Movado, Tissot, and various other high quality Swiss brands well within your budget.
    kazrich likes this.

Way too much money for that watch in that condition. Also, if it was really just serviced the watchmaker would have made sure the case wasn't preventing the rotor from functioning.

I'd stay away.

Thanks everyone! For the $425 asking price, I'll pass based on that advice. Thanks for helping a novice learn!

It actually loses some of its datejust look in person.

I have never thought of the Oceanographer 333ft as being a Rolex copy nor did i think Bulova was trying to ape Rolex.

This model came out in the late 1960's. Bulova was riding high in sales and were selling every Accutron they could make. Rolex was a known company to folks in the USA but it competed with Omega and Longines and did not become the powerhouse that it is now until the decade of great(aka the 1980's)

That being said, that Oceanographer is way over priced.

Plus I am not buying that case spring being bent story. If it is the right case spring then it will fit without impending the rotor. It is supposed to be be bent like that and even if it was bent to crap, as long as it say in the space dedicated for it then it will not stop the rotor with the case back on.
    badbackdan likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information