Thoughts about an online sale - Concordia vintage watch
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Thoughts about an online sale - Concordia vintage watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Attachment 1711922

[New to the forum so please let me know if this should be somewhere else]

Wondering about an online sale: Private seller listed a 1961 Swiss made Concordia chronograph 38mm with a Valjoux 7734 movement. Serviced in the last year and runs perfectly. Listed at ~$550 CAD.
    I have never heard of Concordia before and can't find any info on them. I know the movement is good but I'm afraid it might be a frankenwatch (not necessarily a bad thing).

Any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Thoughts about an online sale - Concordia vintage watch

Greetings. As per my earlier reply about a Minerva chronograph… most chronographs are actually assemblages, and that the key thing with most is the quality of the base movement, in the case of this Valjoux, a Valjoux is a Valjoux is a Valjoux and the name on the dial is not as relevant/important as it might be on simple (non-complication) watch offerings from most companies. So, it's not an Omega (fill in the blank), for example, with all (more or less) of the component parts made by them. Concordia were probably not a watch company as such, but were more likely to have been a sales or marketing company that put cases and movements together and commissioned the dials as appropriate.

At the upper end of complication movements, of course, there are modifications made which make a base movement more particular to the brand (lots of big names buy in base movements and then do significant work to make them their own), but most are more straightforward marriages made to satisfy a market demand, rather than a manufacture per se. My suspicion is that this is the case here.

So… if you're happy that the movement's in good shape and happy with the price, then… but I don't think it's a brand name as such, so enjoy it as such. The movement is still what it is, right?
    Last edited by Habitant; October 14th, 2014 at 00:57.

Thank you for that. I suppose the only question I have left is: do you think a Valjoux 7734 movement in good working order, minus any increase in value for the brand-name, is worth $500+?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I couldn't say if it's worth it (there's a no valuation rule on this forum, for one thing) but I would suggest having a look on eBay to see what the apparent market price is. 'Completed Listings' is a great resource to research prices achieved.

'Concordia' was a trading company based at Dortmund, Germany. Check it out on mikrolisk.de. I own a Valjoux 7765-engined Concordia chrono I had to have for obvious reasons

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413272055.076767.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  289.7 KB

As for the price: you'll soon find that $ 500 is about two or three times its market value, unless the case is massive gold (which I doubt). Keep in mind that you better plan for a service, too.

This Robur came at € 175:

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413272314.547806.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  245.2 KB

Best
    Tomcat
    bobbee likes this.
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

Great info from Tomcat! Didn't know about Concordia. But as to price, my quick scan across Valjoux 7734s currently on eBay, the price quoted by the OP (€350) was about right, at least 'according to that market.' Perhaps you got a good deal, TC! Love the look of your Concordia, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat1960 View Post
    'Concordia' was a trading company based at Dortmund, Germany. Check it out on mikrolisk.de. I own a Valjoux 7765-engined Concordia chrono I had to have for obvious reasons

As for the price: you'll soon find that $ 500 is about two or three times its market value, unless the case is massive gold (which I doubt). Keep in mind that you better plan for a service, too.

This Robur came at € 175:

Best
    Tomcat

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I'd say 350 Euros is OK but not cheap. The trouble is that the price is quite in order for a serviced watch - BUT on fleabay et al. you can never be sure that the thing has been serviced (and if it has, that it was done truly professionally). In other words: at that price, it's a bit of a gamble.

Hartmut Richter

I agree that eBay has its flaws and I'm no big fan of those aspects. But the original post had been, in part, about market value and so a poll across eBay vendor examples (some 'serviced,' some not) showed that the price was roughly the going price out there. You can't do a similar poll by going to Heritage Auctions, for example.

Cheap? I've learned that there are few 'cheap' watches out there – they tend to need expensive interventions which adds to the cost. Buying from a decent dealer who stands behind his serviced watches is the ideal, in my own opinion, but few here would go down that route, drawn like moths to the flame of eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    I'd say 350 Euros is OK but not cheap. The trouble is that the price is quite in order for a serviced watch - BUT on fleabay et al. you can never be sure that the thing has been serviced (and if it has, that it was done truly professionally). In other words: at that price, it's a bit of a gamble.

Hartmut Richter

Thanks for all the info guys.

Does it make the seller more legit (that the watch has actually been serviced) if he/the watch is selling on Chrono 24? Does that site have more reliable sellers than ebay? Also, he's offered the watch to me for $450 with insured shipping, should I be feeling more skeptical or just lucky?

Can the seller prove that the watch has been serviced?
    Can the seller provide movement pics?
    Where is the seller based?
    Do you deem the seller honest? (Note that the 'Trusted Seller' label on chrono24 is not worth very much - there ran a story two years ago that these labels were actually sold by the site owner (but I don't know what the outcome was).)

At the end of the day, you buy the seller. If you trust him, go for it - we all learned that € 310 (which is about what $ 450 Can equals to) all-in is a fair price for this watch, if serviced. (I wonder, however, if there's a speck of dust allowed to remain sitting prominently on the second hand, what may other, less visible spots of the watch look like ).

Good luck!

Best regards,
    Tomcat
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information