Thoughts on this early Vacheron
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Dan S
  • 2 Post By eldarinn

Thread: Thoughts on this early Vacheron

LOT

Thoughts on this early Vacheron

Would like to get some opinions on this Vacheron... Does she look original and authentic to y'all? Gentleman told me that it belonged to a Galician woman who travelled with her husband to the Canary Islands and presented this to him on his birthday. In response to how he acquired it, he told me his daughters gave it to him. He dates the watch to 1920-1921.

The serial number on the movement dates it to 1905-1910 on most databases, which is too early in my opinion for this watch to have been produced.

As always, appreciate any insight.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Thoughts on this early Vacheron

Could be one of these situations, where the manufacturer had a batch of ladies' PW movements made earlier, and used it up by repurposing them as wristwatch movements.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

LOT

If that were the case should the piece be considered an original wristwatch, or more of an authentic V&C franken?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

By no means am I an expert on V&C, but the engraved logo on the movement looks very amateurish to me.
    DragonDan likes this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

I am not sure about the case, but the movement has never been close to a VC factory and that dial looks quite suspicious as well. Good story though... too bad it's a lie;)

LOT

Thanks for the insight folks, I'll stay clear.

Quote Originally Posted by LOT View Post
    If that were the case should the piece be considered an original wristwatch, or more of an authentic V&C franken?
    Well, the movement was likely originally intended for a ladies' PW, but the manufacturer must have decided to use it as a wristwatch movement. Which is OK, if the movement's a hunter one. Although Zenith has used up open-face movements in some 1930s wristwatches.
    All of that would be well and good, if not for the fact, that the maker of this one wasn't VC :)
    That said, all the parts of this watch have likely left the same factory as one watch, only it wasn't the VC factory.

The movement's a typical Swiss "bar" layout used by LeCoultre and FHF, and one of the two likely made the ebauche (not a bad one).
    It's just a fairly generic wristwatch, which some crook has turned into a VC... That crook likely being the guy who told you the entire story, of course assuming that he's selling the watch.
    Run like hell from this fake.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

I have several observations for you; First of all what MKWS and is a legit idea regarding the reservation of series of movements but this does not seem to be the case here; Also re what BADBACKDAN and KORNEEVY said - If you google POCKET WATCH VACHERON MOVEMENT, you will notice that the Vacheron & Constantin engravings on the movements are very crisp on the movement with clear text and in your case it looks hand engraved rather amateurishly. Any respectable Swiss brand would pay attention to its name and in particular some folks like V&C. The design of the movement suggests V&C but this can also be any other Meylan, JLC or other high grade generic Swiss movement 'modified' to look V&C. The engraving of the logo however, did not leave the V&C factory's QC that's for sure.

Regarding the dial as mentioned by BADBACKDAN and KORNEEVY - in my opinion based on my professional background, it actually does appear to be correct in terms of authenticity, unless someone spent a lot of time here with the turn engine work and the hard enamel numerals. What looks like a blurry text around the small details is tarnish, this is a Sterling silver dial with baked hard enamel print. Small clean and it is as new and definitely original. People don't fake that stuff, it's way too complicated. Note also, since there is no sub sec hand 'disturbing' here and since these dials are usually friction fit with a rim (so are leg-less), it is reasonable that this watch started as a pocket watch and then turned 90 degrees to match a wrist watch design with relative ease.

The case is stamped correctly but the lugs are definitely a later addition, which suggest again this may have started its life as a small pocket/pendant watch and later converted to a wrist watch. Too much mystery here.
    badbackdan and LOT like this.

I believe the movement and case hallmarks are original V&C. Can show quite a similar one in silver PW case.

If you make a photo with open front bezel, we can check if there is a traces of former life as a pocket watch (shut/open spring).
    Watchmaking underground
    German Polosin

LOT

Thanks for all the insight gents. The conclusion I have come to is that at 'best' this is a marriage watch... A pocket watch converted to a wristwatch - and for my tastes a watch I am not interested in!

Won't be pursuing further :$

Thread Information